LOOKING for: Hot Weather Cool Suppers

annova914July 5, 2010

We're in for a week of even more hot weather and I'm ISO ideas for light suppers. We'e been enjoying layered salads, grilled chicken/burgers, etc., and tonight I'm making quesadillas using leftover grilled chicken and some veggies from the crisper along with fresh salsa. But this hot weather is sapping whatever creativity I ever had! What's everyone else doing to keep cool in the kitchen but still be able to serve nutritious meals at dinnertime? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

My answer is grill almost everything but the salad!.
Grilled chicken an assortment of summer veggies like zucchini, onions, tomato and peppers tossed with oil and salt and pepper and a little balsamic vinegar in a folded up pan made from heavy duty foil. Wrap potatoes in foil and stick then on the grill too.
You have a delicious dinner and a cool kitchen.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 7:02PM
svenetos

Try these delicious Hawaiian Sandwiches:

Ingredients

* 2 pkgs. Hawaiian rolls
* 1 lb. sliced deli ham
* 8 oz. Swiss cheese, sliced
Topping:
* 3/4 C. butter
* 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 Tbs. mustard
* 1 1/2 Tbs. poppy seeds

Directions

Cut each roll in half sandwich-style. Place bottoms in 9x13-inch baking pan. Top each with ham and cheese slices and the top half of each roll. Mix topping ingredients and pour over sandwiches. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaiian Sandwiches

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 12:59PM
annova914

Thanks for the good veggie grilling suggestions, and the recipe (I bet I can put those sandwiches, wrapped in foil, on the grill too :)

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 12:04PM
paloaltomark

During the dog days of summer, everyone is looking for something light and cool to eat. In our house, we love cucumber avocado soup - a yummy chilled soup that also uses some of the cucumbers you may may be harvesting from your garden about now. We pair this soup with a smoked salmon plate. The recipe for both is at the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light summer meal idea

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 5:56PM
lisbet

I like a side dish of cold baked beans. My German mother used to take a can of baked beans (such as Bush's). Drain off excess liquid...add cidar vinegar, a small thinly sliced sweet onion, thinly sliced celery stalk. Some ground spices, such as a pinch of ground cloves, cumin, dash of hot sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley, hard cooked egg slices. Refrigerate so flavors can blend before serving.

Goes well with roasted hot dogs, hamburgers. Most any picnic fare.

I don't have any specific recipe that I go by....just do everything according to your taste buds.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 4:10PM
glenda_al

half a cantaloupe with cottage cheese and crackers

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: anise liquid ..?
In making biscochitos, I find the anise seed is not...
vieja_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™