QofTD Jul31,2011 Seam ripper

magothyrivergirlJuly 31, 2011

An easy ~ silly question today :)

When is the last time you replaced your seam ripper and why?

Do you have so many it's not a big deal to locate one?

I replaced mine last Thursday. I picked a new one up for $1.99 a few weeks ago when I visited the Pfaff dealer a few weeks ago - forgot about it - it was still in my purse. My old one was cracked and really old. It is very, very old -years since I got a new one, says Japan & SKC on the metal part.

I needed to rip out some stitching on a block I sewed wrong, my quilt was layed out on a different floor & I remembered the new seam ripper in my purse. I did not realize seam rippers are sharp! Wow! Like why did I wait so long?????In dressmaking, when you rip out, you run that sharp little blade between the seams and slice/rip all those little stitches very fast - I could do that again! I can't believe how sharp this baby is~LOL

I don't collect seam rippers, I have one I use primarily, one that came with my machine that I do not like & I can think of one other seam ripper that is too large to be controlled easily somewhere in a drawer.

So, when is the last time you treated yourself to a new seam ripper?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dian57

I've used lots of different kinds but my favorite is a scalpel I got from work. It was in a kit--the doc needed the other stuff in the kit but not the scalpel and I thought, "I wonder . . . "

Had it for years and it's still razor sharp. I am VERY careful using it to avoid ripped fabric and blood stains.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 10:42AM
K8Orlando

I recently bought a new one because it was on sale and had the big rounded handle that ergonomically designed tools have. It was purely an impulse buy, but it's been a delight to use. I think I still have every one I've ever owned over 30 years of sewing! Don't know why I can't throw one out when it gets dull.

Kate

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 11:32AM
nanajayne

Can't remember when. My newest came with my latest sewing machine a couple of years ago. Use different things but the ripper is always next to my sewing macine. My favoite tool. I also have some scalples, very sharp. Have one with a curved blade that is handy sometimes. Like my fine pointed siccors at times. Even use the rotory cutter like E Burns sometimes for long seams. I couldn't sew without my rippers.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 12:06PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I have quite a few seam rippers.....apparently I unknowingly collect them to make sure there's always one at hand. @:)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 12:11PM
kay_in_pa

I got a new one last year when the arthritis in my hands was acting up. It's green (can't remember the brand) and is ergonomically shaped. It's comfortable to use and I was surprised how much sharper a point it had, making it faster work (as if ripping out can EVER be considered fast!).

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 12:46PM
mary_c_gw

I buy them 2 or 3 at a time, and keep one by the sewing machine, one on the ironing board, and one by the longarm.

Yes, they get dull, and I replace them about yearly. About $7.00/year is worth it. Dull tools slip - and you don't want to poke a big hole in your fabric!

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 12:54PM
rosajoe_gw

Somehow I lose them. The one that came with my Janome is OK. My method is to use embroidery scissors and clip the threads then use an embroidery needle in the middle and pull out the section of thread. Using a ripper and then having to pull out all of those little threads on both sides drives me crazy. I haven't tried the mustache trimmer method.
Rosa

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 1:15PM
toolgranny

Fortunately mine aren't used enough to dull yet but I gather more each time I see one at a garage sale in a box of thread or something. I stick them next to every machine, in each sewing box, in each travel box and next to my chairs. I hate stopping to go find one. Wonderful tools to have around. I'd make more mistakes if I didn't have one.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 2:46PM
calliope

Oh my gosh.......here I come crawling out from under my rock again. I had no clue they were even supposed to be sharp, just like I had no clue that dealie on the left of my sewing machine head was actually a thread cutter. LOL I've been sewing all my life, practically.

Needless to say my seam ripper has to be almost antique as it never occured to me it would ever need to be replaced. I figured it performed its function simply by being pointed and able to lift up a thread and I just relied on the thread breaking when I pulled hard enough. (groaning)

I inherited another little seam cutter from my mother's sewing notions when she passed away and keep it handy in my machine drawer. I wondered why it poked me when I reached in to grab it. It was actually sharp. It's my mother's fault, obviously, for not educating me on this tool. ;-)

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 4:29PM
sandlapper_rose

After reading this, I guess I will be buying a new seam ripper, too! LOL

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 5:08PM
magothyrivergirl

What is so funny to me - about me - is I am quick to change needles, rotary blades, razor blades in tools, so not to replace my trusty seam ripper is odd. It has teeth marks where my greyhound tried to chew it, and she has been gone almost 10 years.
DH saw me dumping out my purse to find the new seam ripper and he said - you bought another one of those??? Don't you have one? lol
Yeah, my response was - how many electrical testers do you have????? (He is not an electrician.)

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 6:07PM
mary_c_gw

MRG - ask him how often he changes his razor blade. Dragging razor on face or legs ... ouchie! Even if he uses an electric, those blades don't last forever either, LOL.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 6:36PM
buteau3rd

I have many, many!! Like others, when I want one I want it now, right here. Most are dull,...so old. Then many are ok., because when I have coupons, and don't find fabric that I want, I buy a ripper.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 6:49PM
karpet

Didn't someone on here name their seam ripper 'Harold'?

Karlene

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
New needle problem
So yesterday I was just sewing along on my Janome and...
grammyp
Free Zelda Quilt Along to start soon
http://www.quiltinglinda.com/category-quilting/2015/02/16/free-zelda-quilt-along/ For...
lindaoh_gw
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™