Love/Hate Quilt

karpetJuly 26, 2011

Reading Kate's response about her snail trail cat quilt made me think - How many times have you started a quilt that you were excited about and then stopped working on it because you didn't like how it was going so you put it away somewhere. Then you stumble across it one day and you like it again and you can't figure out what made it so distasteful that you put it aside way back when? Or when you pull it out, do you still dislike it?

Karlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

Normally I don't stop working on a quilt because I don't like how the design is going. That I can always alter and often do. I will stop however if the fabrics aren't working for me or I can't find the exact backing I'm looking for.
For me much of how a pattern works or doesn't work is dependent on the fabric choices and if that isn't just right no amount of work on it is going to make it a quilt I will want to finish.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 9:33AM
toolgranny

I put projects away when I get bored with them. I find them later on and maybe put them away again. I have my SBS blocks only about half done and can't seem to get myself to drag them out now that I have more exciting things to do. Someday. They make a good retreat project as they are small. If I make ten at retreat each year, it will only take me another 8 years or so.

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 11:01AM
dian57

It's happened to me a few times--get inspired by something and when I'm into it decide it's not working for me.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure when that feeling comes upon me and are time won't change my mind. Next time I'm organizing the UFO's, I'll offer it to someone at my quilting get-together. This keeps the UFO list pared down to projects I truly want to complete.

At this point in my life, I can't imagine wasting my time dragging through something I'm not enjoying. And I don't have the room to store something I'll never complete.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 6:22AM
karpet

I have one scrap quilt of fish that I made over six years ago that is at a crib size right now. I didn't really care for it since I was using up calico scraps in it and at the time I wanted a stash that was tone-on-tone fabrics. Then I got this idea of adding other blocks like frogs, turtles, dragonflies, to the edges to build it out to a full size. I still kind of like that idea, but not enough to make it a priority. When I do look at it I don't dislike it now as much as when I stopped working on it and I'm also using more fabrics now than just tone-on-tones.
Karlene

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Sponsored Products
Metro Thin Sofa
| Italy Design
King Catalina Steel Blue Quilt 105" x 95"
$700.00 | Horchow
Patch Magic Star Of The Sea Toss Pillow 16 x 16-Inch
$31.00 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Pickstitch Matelassé Coverlet
Serena & Lily
Couture Lacquered Gold Leaf Parker Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Ivory Gramercy California King-size 8-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Rizzy Home Applique and Embroidery JOY Decorative Throw Pillow in Beige Multicol
$26.00 | Hayneedle
Chrome Finish Towel Bathroom Quilt Rack Stand
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™