RECIPE: Strawberry Jelly Process

gmom2-6boysJuly 3, 2009

Wanting to make strawberry jelly. Freezer type. But I can't have any seeds in it. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks

gmom2-6boys

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Don't know how you can make freezer JELLY....
But to make seedless strawberry jelly you will have to cook the berries to release the juice and then drip it in a muslin jelly bag and make your jelly out of the resultant juice.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 9:46AM
readinglady

As LindaC mentioned, the only way to get an absolutely seedless jelly is to drip the juice through a muslin bag. It's hard to find good jelly bags today. You can use a pillowcase or just go to a store that has a fabric section and get unbleached muslin. You need to suspend it so that gravity releases the juice in the bag. You can hang it off a knob with a bowl underneath or turn a stool upside down and tie a muslin square to the four legs (again with a bowl underneath). It will take about 24+ hours. For a clear jelly, don't squeeze the bag. If you only care about getting out the seeds and don't care about clarity, you can squeeze the bag. This will be less wasteful.

Without the seeds you lose a lot of the natural pectin. Freezer jams are already a fairly soft set. This will probably be a bit softer.

Carol

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 12:25PM
carol_in_california

I have my Mom's old jelly bag........and the holder, the pointed colander and the old wooden thingy to go with it.
I think she got it in the early 1930's.
I will have to try making strawberry freezer jelly.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 8:15PM
readinglady

Well, the pointed colander (i.e. chinois or Chinese cap) isn't normally used for jelly. It's used to strain or puree things like squash. But it could work, so anything that does the job. You could use it to contain the jelly bag. I'm not sure the holes are fine enough to strain out the strawberry seeds otherwise.

Carol

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 2:31AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™