Polished vs Honed vs Leather Finish for Black Granite

uberfusionApril 11, 2013

We are building a (54" x 74") island in our reno'd kitchen and covering it with jet black granite (which should work nicely with the ivory fantasy granite on the existing counter tops...)

To keep the look a bit subtle I don't want to go with with a shiny polished look on the black granite so am leaning towards a honed or leather finish...

Maybe a bit hard to visualize this with out actually seeing the kitchen but would welcome any ideas/suggestions on the look...

Also I'm particularly looking for feedback on going with a honed or leather finish (any thoughts on one compared to the other?) regarding the pluses and minuses - may be especially along the lines of showing finger prints, keeping clean etc...

Much appreciated and best regards...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldengirl327

I'm not sure if jet mist is the same, but here's mine in brushed finish. I have to admit that I do baby it a bit based on reports that etching is possible, but overall, we have been happy with the finish.

This post was edited by goldengirl327 on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 12:20

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:19PM
sis2two

My sister put in the black leather granite and she absolutely loves hers. It is quite beautiful and does not show fingerprints at all. The texture is so nice too.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:01PM
cat_mom

Not the same application, but FWIW, we have an AB saddle in our MB. It is honed and was enhanced/sealed with Tiger Ager. It is holding up well, and seems pretty forgiving.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:51PM
finestra

My neighbor has her AB leathered and she still shows fingerprints - but not nearly as much as the polished. They use a lot of olive oil, so I think it is hard to hide those fingerprints on anything!

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Aditya Industries Stainless Steel Sink
Anyone ever heard of Aditya Industries as a supplier...
burbmomoftwo
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Silgranit vs. Kohler cast iron Smart Divide
I have always thought I would get a Silgranit sink....
kelleg69
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™