RECIPE: Leek & Onion Quiche (step by step pics)
I cut this out of our local English newspaper recipe page and tried it today. It's easy and delicious as well as healthy as the pastry can be made with cottage cheese. It will go into my "keeper" file. Sorry I didn't calculate the amount of leek in cups for anyone who doesn't have a kitchen scale....but I used the white parts of 1 1/4 large leeks as well as a little of the light green part.
LEEK & ONION QUICHE
1 slice of streaky bacon finely chopped (I used 3 slices )
400 grams (14 oz) onions halved and sliced (approx 2 large onions)
200 grams (7 oz) leeks sliced in circles
150 grams (1 cup) plain flour
1 TBS baking powder
3 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS milk
3 TBS plain yoghurt (without sugar) (I used quark)
60 grams (3 rounded TBS) cottage cheese or cream cheese (I used cottage)
salt & pepper
1 pyrex pie plate... measuring 19 cm (7.5 inches) across bottom
..... if it has sloping sides, top rim to rim 24.5 cm (9.3/4 inches)
1. Preheat oven to 180 - 190Â° C (approx 365Â° F)
2. Put the flour and the baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir.
Leave a well in the middle and add the cheese, one tablespoon of oil, one tablespoon of milk and a pinch of salt.
3. Mix well with a round bladed knife or your hands until you have a pastry which binds well together and is slightly sticky.
You may need to add a little water. Do so by the spoonful to make sure you don't add too much.
4. Place into a greased pie plate and spread well over the base and up the sides, patting with fingers and the back of a large spoon.
5. Place in the fridge to rest.
6. Gently fry the vegetables and bacon in the remaining oil until soft and golden, then transfer them to the pastry base using a slotted spoon.
7. Beat the egg with the remaining spoonful of milk and the yoghurt (or quark) and pour over the vegetables, making sure that it is spread
evenly over the whole quiche.
8. Season and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
Source: Recipe page of Island Connections English Newspaper, Tenerife 21.06.2008
Step 6 - Cooked leek, bacon & onion mixture spooned into base.
Step 7 - Egg mixture poured over.