What color flooring for this cab/countertop/backsplash combo?

RebeccaNOVAApril 9, 2014

We are remodeling our kitchen and have just settled on white shaker cabinets, Blue Volga granite countertop, and white subway tile backsplash with a small strip of dark accent tiles. The combo will look something like this, but with subway instead of square tiles: images 29 and 30 on this page [you can 'find' volga on the page]: http://baronnigranitedesign.com/portfolio.asp

Every single photo I look at online has dark wood floors paired with this color combo, but for our family with 3 small kids, we really want to go with some kind of tile that hopefully doesn't break the bank. I was thinking a dark slate type of tile, but our kitchen isn't particularly big (about 14 1/2 x 12 with one over-sink window) - will dark flooring make it look like a cave? One reason we are going with a mainly white subway tile backsplash is to lighten things up. I have learned so much by lurking on this site, I look forward to hearing any thoughts! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Volga/White cab/White tile example

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Juno_barks

Dark flooring shows dust, etc. In my remodel I am avoiding dark, and finally decided to go with a clear maple.
Another consideration is that tile is very hard, and can be tough on your back if spend long hours cooking.
I was very intrigued by rubber flooring, which is available in a lot of colors. Its soft, diverse, and quiet.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RebeccaNOVA

I have a friend who put in cork, but I can just envision my kids tearing it up!

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
Budget or DIY Counter Options
I've got a couple of ideas I'd like to bounce out there,...
denizenx
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™