LOOKING for: Looking for a Russian-Armenial recipe for Preserves

sayhellonowJune 4, 2008

I have a friend who is 97 years young, and she has told me 3 or 4 times how to make Strawberry Preserves. I failed to write it down every time! Now she is very hard of hearing and I am too embarrassed to ask her again.

The recipe uses 1 lb. of strawberries, and 1 lb. of sugar. Does anyone know how to finish this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady

That's just a traditional formula for preserves, not specific to Russia or Armenia. Women all over Europe have been making preserves of that sort for 100's of years. So have rural Americans and Canadians.

Here's a link to an article by Russ Parsons of the LA times. He gives pretty good instructions. Scroll down and you'll see the strawberry recipe.

Although he doesn't mention it, you'll have better luck with the set if about 1/4 of the berries are slightly underripe. Underripe berries have more natural pectin.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Jams the Quick and Easy Way

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 3:02PM
sayhellonow

Thank you very much, Carol. I really like that link! I've copied the recipe. I'm sure many people already knew about the general procedure, but I'm so new to making jam, jelly, and preserves that I had no idea it was so simple.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 3:26PM
readinglady

Hey, I was glad to help. If you have more questions about preserves, just go over to Harvest and post.

Also, for an easier version check the Harvest thread below. I posted a way to do it in the oven.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Jam Oven Version

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
RECIPE: Sauce for Meat
Years ago my Grandmother use to do a lot of canning....
darrah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™