Mitering corners

littlehelen_gwJuly 4, 2012

I seem to have a mental block when it comes to mitering borders and bindings. I've done it a few times, but I'm rarely happy with the results. Does anyone have a recommendation for instructions that are easy to follow? Is is a matter of more practice?

V.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magothyrivergirl

Leah Day has a great Machine Binding You Tube.
Whether you choose a completely Machine stitched binding or hand stitch to the back, her technique is very informative and precise. She covers mitering with close ups.

I use the red wonder clips to form my miters when I turn them before stitching - No distortion from pins.

Most of the time, I machine stitch to the back & flip to the front to also machine stitch. I practiced on small samples to come up w/a technique that suited my machine.
I took notes along the way on machine settings - stitch length, thread, needle type and size, pressure foot to use, etc. and when to stop, pivot, etc. It took alot of practice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leah Day Binding

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:35AM
littlehelen_gw

Hi and Thanks for tip on Leah Day, I've not seen her video on mitering, but have viewed other video's, FMQ, good idea.
I think I am my own worst enemy; for whatever reason,I will labor over the how to sometimes...read web sites, watch video's, etc and then one day when I finally ask the question..Bingo..the light bulb goes off and I figure it out.
Finish mitering borders on my practice quilt and they look fine. Thanks for you input, I will check out her binding tips...I'm sure I'll learn something

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:16AM
quiltingfox

I liked watching the Leah Day Binding video, thanks Magothyrivergirl. :-) That is helpful to watch. Happy 4th of July!!!

Best to you and many thanks,
Sandra

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 1:56PM
nanajayne

I like her explanation on how to join the ends. I have issues with that. Will keep her in mind on my next one. TFS

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:52PM
dawnp

I am a new quilter and just used these(linked below) instructions. I thought the instructions were very clear and my corners came out nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Binding tutorial

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:15PM
polardreams

I watched this tutorial on YouTube and I thought it was really well done. I have HATED doing mitered corners and her explanation of the corners and joining the ends was easy to follow.
Sue/polardream

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube mitered corners

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:27PM
K8Orlando

Here's a link to a recent post about mitering corners. I like the 'no snouts' concept!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitering corners - no snouts!

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 11:33PM
littlehelen_gw

thank you all...I've watch the fast talker Kate recommended, polar dreams recommendation...liked her technique..just a tad different than what I've done before and the tutorial froom Dawn...learned something from each. Again thank you ... it's all helpful for my stubborn brain!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Quilting ideas please
The sailboat quilt will be put in the frame this evening....
grammyp
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Sponsored Products
Cherry Creek Flushmount by Hinkley Lighting
$179.00 | Lumens
Le Corbusier LC2 Style Loveseat-Chocolate - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Corner Shower Basket - 9" - Chrome
Signature Hardware
Corona 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Mocha
$1,425.00 | LexMod
Seville Collection Iron Torchiere Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus