Has anyone ever made potato salad using frozen hash browns?
I've heard about it, but have been afraid to try it.
I did make a potato salad recipe that I found on a jar of Aunt May's mayonaise. It had pretty much the standard potato salad ingretients, except it had pimentos in it. I will not say it tasted bad, but the texture was not good. I did not like having it in my mouth. It was like eating Gerbers Potato Salad. I will admit to being highly affected by the texture of food. It can turn me off some foods entirely. Like shreded coconut or shreded carrots.
If you are not all that sensitive to texture and the ingredients sound good to you, why not give it a try? But if texture is a big part of your enjoyment of a dish, I would caution you about doing this. I might add that I found it visually unappealling too.
Here is a recipe that I found at the Taste of Home site. It had good reviews.
Here is a link that might be useful: hash brown potato salad
This is slightly different each time because depending on the number of people the amounts changes a bit...The recipe is my mother's but with her blessing she approves of the addition of the shrimp.
1. red or white potates about 2-3 pounds. Scrub skins and put in 3 quart pan. Fill pan halfway water and add 2 tsp of salt. Boil until just tender.(do not over-cook) cool then peel if you wish, then cube (medium) the potatoes and put in a very large mixing bowl or 5 quart pan works great for mixing.
2. Chop 5 ribs of celery and add to potatoes.
3. Chop 1 large dill pickle and add.
4. Add 8 chopped hard boiled eggs.
5. Add 1/3 cup of finely chopped sweet onion or more/less to taste.
6. Add 2 small cans of med shrimp drained (this is optional), but if you like shrimp and potato salad you will love the flavors when combined.
7. Lightly toss all of the above.
8. Add 1-2 cups of mayonaise or half mayonaise/half Miracle whip. This is a tastes isssue...I prefer to use Hellman's (Best Foods) mayo only but add mustard 1-2 Tablespoons.
9. With the above add salt and pepper to taste as you mix, using a clean tasting spoon each time.
9. Mix together lightly but thoroughly. Add more mayo if needed. Put in bowl and slice two hard boiled eggs to decorate. Sprinkle paprika on top. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
sorry..not paying attn. but this is a good recipe for picnic potato salad...:)
Thanks for the recipe. It was exactly what I was looking for.
I had company this weekend and made it.
No one knew it was made with frozen hash browns. The only comment made was how did I get the potatoes cut in such even squares, oh ya, they said it tasted great.
I will be making it again. It will be great for a large crowd.
Its my favorite. Thank you so much for posting this recipe.....