time to closing

mjlbJune 10, 2013

We have an offer from a buyer who has been pre-approved for a loan, and the house inspection has already occurred. What would be a reasonable time period to closing? The buyer is suggesting about 6 wks, but to me, that seems lengthy if you're already pre-approved? There are no brokers on buyer or seller side, so there's no one handy to ask.

Thanks for any insights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjlb

Sorry -- I meant to ask 'time to obtaining a commitment from the bank", not closing! Closing would be 2 wks after loan commitment.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:14AM
kirkhall

2 weeks. I don't see why you'd need longer than 1 month to close. 45 days longest. Maybe they want to push it out for some other reason--(their rental unit doesn't expire until x date, or...) Has an appraisal occured?

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:02PM
mjlb

No appraisal yet, but you are right -- the buyer's lease is up in six weeks. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:30PM
chispa

The average time to close in my area of LA, is about 8 weeks right now. From date of offer to date of closing.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 1:07AM
linda117117

It really depends on what state you are in. In my area of NY, closings typically take 45 to 75 days. Pre approved only means based on income, credit and debts, they can afford the mortgage. Mortgage approval is totally different.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:00PM
linda117117

It really depends on what state you are in. In my area of NY, closings typically take 45 to 75 days. Pre approved only means based on income, credit and debts, they can afford the mortgage. Mortgage approval is totally different.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:01PM
hgli2005

Pre-approval means nothing really, only that if the borrowers told the truth to the bank about their income and liabilities that they meet the financial qualifications. The lender still has to do the same credit checks and review and that can take 30 - 60 days depending.

So here in southern NY, 45 to 60 days is average from contract signing to closing.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:18PM
ncrealestateguy

Here in NC I close deals anywhere from 30 -45 days. I did, however, just close a financing deal in 25 days.
Do you not have a written contract. If so, all these details should be spelled out.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
Getting house ready to sell and have door knob question.
My house is going on 11 yrs old. Everything is pretty...
padillasideas
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Why would nosey realtor say these things?
It is clear my house lacks a wow factor. I over de-cluttered...
belfastbound
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™