RECIPE: Cilantro bolting - need inspiration

jude31May 27, 2009

MY CILANTRO IN THE HERB GARDEN IS BEGINNING TO BOLT AND FOR SOME STRANGE REASON I CAN'T GET INSPIRED TO USE IT....COULD USE A LITTLE HELP HERE.

JUDE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950

Here's a thread from this forum of just a few weeks ago:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/recipex/msg0314463429434.html

Lots of great cilantro recipes/ideas.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Cilantro inspiration

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:28PM
CA Kate

Get some more seed and plant only a few seeds every week all spring/summer, then you'll have a constant supply. Let what is bolting go to seed. The flowers will give food to a number of tiny bees and wasps that are good for the environment. Then you can use the newly grown seeds as Coriander in cooking, or just let some fall to replant themselves in your garden.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 12:24AM
ltcollins1949

Jude,

Where do you live? In the hot south, cilantro will bolt (go to seed) and then die back. Here in south Texas, we grow cilantro Coriandrum sativum as a cool-weather herb. By the end of May, all of mine has bolted and died. Like westelle mentions above, let it go to seed, and it will come back as soon as the weather cools down a little.

And the seeds are the spice coriander.

Website http://whatscookingamerica.net/cilantro.htm states the following about it:

Cilantro or coriander not only has two common names, but two entirely different identities and uses. Cilantro, Coriandrum sativum, describes the first or vegetative stage of the plant's life cycle. After the plant flowers and develops seeds, it is referred to as coriander.

So don't be afraid to eat it even if it is going to seed. It still takes great! Or just let it go to seed and you will have a bunch of new ones coming up.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 9:18PM
jude31

Thanks y'all. I did make Barefoot Contessa's black bean and corn salsa yesterday. It was good! I just keep getting distracted for some reason....may be too many irons in the fire.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 8:37AM
ditnc

I have been pinching off the fluffy parts that are trying to go to seed. Is this a futile attempt? I thought if pinched back, the cilantro will continue to grow leafy.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 2:43PM
jude31

I think it does continue to grow to a point but it seems after it once starts to bolt it accelerates. We've been having yard work done and I've been making strawberry preserves and just can't seem to get in the swing of things for some reason.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
RECIPE: Looking for: Date Nut Bread Recipe
I've tried a few recipes and have often been disappointed....
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
recipe: iso very simple yellow squash gratin
I am looking for a recipe that I can use for a squash...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™