LOOKING for: Pork Pie

stinkydavisMay 2, 2008

I used to know a family in Ridegwood, NJ who moved there from Aussie - Brisbane, I think. She made Pork Pie, possibly called Sweet and Sour Pork Pie by some. I have lost the recipe but what I remember is: a lard based crust, 1 to 1-1/2 lb ground pork (I think), canned crushed pineapple, green peppers. I think the recipe called for browinig the pork, but otherwise I'm lost. She may have used some extra pork fat, but again, I just can't recall. Can't find recipes here or Google, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Check out the one below but it's not from Australia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork Pie

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 8:21PM
stinkydavis

Ginger,

WOW - you're good. If that's not the exact recipe it's a first cousin. My Aussie friends no doubt used a recipe with Chinese origin anyway. How can I thank you - been looking for years. Altho it doesn't say so, unless the ground pork has a fairly high fat content, I think it's important to brown it in pork fat or bacon fat. The 'healthy lean' pork everyone sells today contains too little fat, i.e., no fat for cooking, and less flavor.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 11:54PM
ginger_st_thomas

You're very welcome. I agree about the lean pork. Just doesn't taste as good now.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 7:31AM
stinkydavis

Ginger - I made this the other day using a 10" - 11" pie pan, 2-1/2 lb ground pork plus 1/3 lb extra ground pork fat. I made lard pastry. I'd say it was fine, almost the exact taste I remember and wanted to re-create, but even with the added fat, it wasn't as moist as I'd like. That didn't keep me from finishing it off over a few days - I love dishes that you can slice up and nuke for lunch.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 7:28PM
ginger_st_thomas

Glad you liked it. Guess you'll just have to keep tweaking it to get it exactly as you remember.

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 5:59AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
RECIPE: Looking for: Date Nut Bread Recipe
I've tried a few recipes and have often been disappointed....
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™