Selling a house
When I read the posts by some of you regarding your frustration in not selling your home after a week, or a month, I keep thinking that I have to post our experience. About 3 years ago, we began to explore selling our family home, with plans to build a new home closer to our grandchildren. We listed the house in March, 2011. It had been appraised at $410,000, so we followed our realtor's advice, and listed at $399,000, so that it would come up on searches under $400,000. We had our first showing a couple of days later. The lookers dismissed the home, because they wanted a new house (house was built in 1983). After that, no one looked at it for a few weeks. At the advice of our realtor, we dropped the price to $375,000. We had a few more lookers, including 4 famillies who came to an open house, and wanted more information on the house. Nothing came of that. In the fall of 2011, after we dropped the price a couple of more times, a family came to an open house, and stayed for the whole time. They were very interested, but had a home to sell out of state. We had begun to build our new home, and were planning our move. Then, we heard that our next door neighbor, who owned lake property with plans to build a retirement home sometime, planned to put their home on the market to "test the market". They built their home 3 years after we did, and basically copied our house. Our home was stucco, theirs cedar siding, but very similar inside. They had put wood floors in kitchen, and quartz countertops during a remodel about 5 or 6 years ago. Well, the people with the out of town house to sell sold their house, and one of the realtors in the same office as our realtor was going to bring them back through our house. But, surprise, surprise, the next door neighbor, who just happened to be using that realtor, decided that day to list their house. The realtor told them that she was bringing a couple through our house, and one of them (neighbor or realtor) decided it would be a good idea to also show them their house. The couple saw both, and scheduled another look at their house. But then, they decided they wanted to look again at our house. Then, they said that they wanted to have the weekend to decide which house they wanted. They still couldn't decide, and asked for another day. Then, our realtor called, and said that they decided to make a lowball offer on neighbor's house, and, if it was not accepted, would make an offer on ours. The neighbors at this time were asking $349,999. We had come down to $319,000. The neighbors accepted the offer without countering. We found out after that the offer was $322,000.So, after about 10 days, the neighbor decided to quit testing the market, and sell for $27,000 under asking price, without a quibble. We are convinced that their realtor told them the buyers would not accept a counter. This was in April, 2012. After 4 more contingent offers, we are finally closing our sale 2 weeks from now. We are then planning to take an old photo of our neighbors to burn in our fire pit to exorcise them forever from our lives, and I am only being a little facetious! So, when someone is upset that they have not sold after 1 month, I have a little trouble feeling sorry for you!