LOOKING for: cheap breakfast food

eileenlaunonenMay 28, 2007

The teachers asked me to do a breakfast for the PTA moms...only problem is that there are 25 members and the teachers want to give me 150.00...I need ideas as last year they paid 400.00 for a huge fancy spread but a number of tachers didnt want to chip in this year....how can I do this to make it cost effective for me...They refused a continental style breakfast so Im kinda stumped I hate to refuse the job but ....what can I do? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mellowdee

I would suggest biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs.
Are you going to have to decorate too?
Mellowdee

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 9:08PM
lindac

I make an Italian eggs casserole...I cook onions and green peppers...just cook them a little to soften....then I scramble eggs, keep them soft with a bit of milk...
And into a greased casserole layer the eggs, the slightly cooked veggies and grated chedder cheese...salt and pepper each layer...and refrigerate until time to pop into a 350 oven, with a foil cover to heat up.
Figure 1 1/2 eggs per serving. For 25 people, that's 2 dozen eggs in 2 8 by 11 dishes. Estimated costs $8 at most.
Then some sausages....either make your own patties or buy a ready made and cook....8 pounds ought to be well more than enough. Estimated costs $30 at most.
Fruit....a watermelon, hollowed out, decorativly cut, filled with white grapes, cantelope blue berries etc... Estimated costs, $25.
Breads and/or rolls....cinnamon rolls....you know how....costa for 25 perhaps $15?
So far we are at $80...with lots to spare...
You have $70 to do napkins, glasses, candy, nuts and bloody marys.
Easy-peasy!
Linda C

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 11:38PM
trixietx

For 25 people and $150.00 I would do breakfast casseroles (probably three or four different kinds), fruit, muffins and juice. I would not do decorations or alcohol beverages (let the teachers do that if they want to.)

I wouldn't do it if I couldn't make a profit!

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 12:48AM
khandi

I've made these several times in regular-sized muffin tins. My daughter loves them! You can add just about anything in them. These would be good with muffins, a fruit tray, and juice like trixietx mentioned above. Maybe even with some kind of mini sausage rolls, or scones with honey butter!

Mini Frittatas Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Breakfast

Makes 40 mini frittatas.

Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
8 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces thinly sliced ham, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray 2 mini muffin tins (each with 24 cups) with nonstick spray. Whisk the eggs, milk, pepper, and salt in a large bowl to blend well. Stir in the ham, cheese, and parsley. Fill prepared muffin cups almost to the top with the egg mixture. Bake until the egg mixture puffs and is just set in the center, about 8 to 10 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittatas from the muffin cups and slide the frittatas onto a platter. Serve immediately.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 8:39AM
khandi

Here's more ideas I found. I've never tried these recipes but they sound very economical. I've included the link so you can see a picture of the dish. Hope this helps!

Breakfast Melon Ball Crunch
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=6935

Breakfast BLT
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=5977

Breakfast Club Sandwich
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=7898

Cardamon Coffee Cake
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=4668

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 9:04AM
mhlemay

I used this menu for Easter brunch. All the recipes are easy (lots can be done ahead of time)-it is also a very economical and elegant menu. If you care for any of the recipes-let me know.

Sausage and Egg Overnight Casserole
Strawberry and Spinach Salad
Cheese Grits
Rolls

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
recipe: iso very simple yellow squash gratin
I am looking for a recipe that I can use for a squash...
jennieboyer
LOOKING for: Christmas Tree coffee cake
DH here... My mother used to make a coffee cake for...
dawninva
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™