RECIPE: Lemon balm chick peas

joannawMay 22, 2009

The lemon balm is getting taller every day, and I'm in search of good ways to use it up! I know about using it in tea and syrup and mojitos and jelly, but I'm looking for some different, savory things to do with it (I can't possibly suck down enough sweet tea to use up all my lemon balm and mint!). I've found that it's delicious in salads (especialy with dried cranberries), and yesterday came up with this dish:

Curried chick peas with lemon balm

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed

1 Tbs olive oil

1 tsp curry powder

leaves from 2-3 4-6 inch sprigs lemon balm, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

In a medium heavy skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Fry chickpeas until golden. Stir in curry powder and fry for about a min. more. Remove from heat, toss in the lemon balm. Enjoy. It might be good with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to finish, too, but I didn't have any on hand.

What are some interesting, off-the-beaten-path ways you have used lemon balm?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graanieb

Hi everyone! Long time looker deciding to post a bit now.

Lemon Balm recipe looks good, going to try it.

How about Stuffed Chicken with garlic, lemon balm, parsley, oregano and other herbs?

Now need to find Lemon Verbena, have plenty Lemon Balm---great in iced tea, especially about now.

Have a good weekend,

Bea

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 1:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949

I really like lemon balm. It is a member of the mint family and can be used like mint. Fresh sprigs are used to top drinks and as garnishes on salads and main dishes. Fresh or dried leaves make a refreshing tea, either iced or hot. Use it with fish, poultry, rice and salads; it is suggested to use lemon balm leaves for any dish containing lemon juice to get a more intensive lemon aroma. Lemon balm is great with fresh fruits, especially apples; it is sometimes found in apple-based desserts, fruit salads or fruit-based desserts (can also use lemon verbena or mint). Because herbal vinegar is mostly made from apple vinegar, it may benefit from a few balm leaves.

I found this recipe, but can't remember where.

LEMON BALM-BASIL PESTO

5 or 6 cloves of garlic
½ cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of toasted pecans or walnuts or almonds, or nut of your choice
1 cup of lemon balm leaves
1 cup of basil leaves

Put 5 or 6 cloves of garlic in a food processor. Add to this or take away depending on your love for garlic. Add ½ cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of toasted pecans or walnuts or almonds, any nut will work. Add one cup of lemon balm leaves and one cup of basil leaves. Store it in the fridge.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Dip and spread mixes sold at craft shows
Does anyone know where I can find recipes for the dip...
NanaCherie
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
RECIPE: Quick Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
Ingredients: 1tbsp oil 300g mixed stir-fry vegetables...
thermon1
LOOKING for: elephant garlic recipes?
i grew a bunch and now i don't know what to do with...
Molly Adams
RECIPE: looking for: potato boats recipe
What are the healthy ingredients you can incorporate...
elleau
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™