Q: floor underlayment as shelf liner

eleenaApril 17, 2013

I have seen it mentioned several times as a cost-effective alternative to other shelf liners.

I know there is cork underlayment but I there are other kinds too, right?

As an underlayment is meant for floors, is it food-safe? Even though I am not putting food on it, I am still a little concerned about cooking utensils being in contact with.

Which one have you used and why?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreak100

My mom has wound up using inexpensive vinyl flooring that she picked up as a remnant. She seems to be very happy with it - she says that it wipes clean easily and has been wonderful overall...haven't decided if I'm doing shelf liners through the entire kitchen, but will probably do something under the sink and on the shelves where I'll have cleaning supplies and maybe a few other places. Might explore the idea that my mom has since it seems to work really well for her.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:32PM
eleena

Thank you!

Any other thoughts?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:09PM
williamsem

I don't have an answer, but cork is used as wine stoppers :-) I'd imagine if it wasn't treated it would be ok. Plus we have cork coasters and trivets.

I bet someone knows what to looks for. I was thinking of going that way too!

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:29PM
HollyRu

For many years I have done the same as andreak's Mom....using remnants of vinyl flooring cut to fit. I love the durability but the big downside is that it curls on the edges sometimes very badly. I have even used clear tape to try to stop the curl (I tape it to the shelf) and it is so strong that it curls anyway!

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:53PM
EATREALFOOD

Is cork underlayment thick ? Is cork underlayment used under flooring to reduce noise ? Just curious.
The container store sells cork cabinet liners, they also have some nice reed/grass style liners if you have any open shelving.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:05AM
eleena

Underlayment comes in different thickness: 1/4", 1/2" etc.

Cork is fine by itself, I am just worried about added chemicals when processing. If it is anything related to food, there may be more stringent regulations - I'd hope.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:22AM
andreak100

HollyRu - that's interesting about the curling issue. My mom doesn't have that happen in her cabinets that I've noticed. I'll have to ask her what she does/did to eliminate that.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Ikeafans website has closed down
I know that the Ikeafans website was seeded by gardenweb,...
scrappy25
How high above countertop is the bottom of cabinets?
in a sink area? I have 18 inches above regular countertop...
Annette Holbrook
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™