RECIPE: Sweet potato casserole

fincheloverApril 2, 2010

can someone help. I want to know how to make it by using sweetpatotoes cooked in water,then cooled,sliced [not mashed)and then layer with butter and brown sugar and topped with marshmellows. Is that the right routine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Just do it....
Peel the sweet potatoes....then simmer in water until they can easily be pierced with a fork.
Then butter a casserole, slice the potatoes and put a layer in the dish, sprinkle with a little salt, sprinkle a little ( or a lot) of brown sugar...add another layer and salt and brown sugar....drizzle it all with melted butter...put into the oven at 350 and bake for 25 to 30 minutes...
Remove from the oven and turn the temperature of the oven to 425 and line up marshmallows on top. Bake until browned about 15 minutes....maybe less.
I also think a sprinkle of cinnamon would be good before you add the marshmallows....or perhaps ginger.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 9:21PM
finchelover

Thanks lindac: I just kinda forgot how it went,also about using cinnamon. They are stressing more and more for people to use cinnamon how good it is for us.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 12:07AM
graanieb

Honey and cinnamon are said to lower blood pressure, among other benefits ( have it in the morning usually with waffles) plus sweet potatoes being good for you, a good dish to make.

For healthier version, use bit of honey, brown sugar, fresh orange juice,bit vanilla, cinnamon, bit of unsalted butter, favorite nuts if you like, top with buttered nuts mixed with some brown sugar, all to taste.
I just avoid white sugar and use pinch of sea or kosher salt.

Make your own version according to your own taste.

Happy Easter all!

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 1:51AM
graanieb

Another idea...instead of marshmallows use beaten eggwhites mixed with a bit of Splenda. I don't use salt in sweet potato dishes but when I do use it its little sea salt.

Bea

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls
Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together...
dspen
RECIPE: Sauce for Meat
Years ago my Grandmother use to do a lot of canning....
darrah
RECIPE: Looking for: Date Nut Bread Recipe
I've tried a few recipes and have often been disappointed....
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™