Questions for long-armers

loisflanJune 4, 2014

When I bought my Tiara, the shop recommended Signature thread. I think that was the name. It is cotton covered poly. They said it was stronger for the fast speeds that the long arm machines achieve. What do you experienced quilters think?

And how do you do SITD with a long arm machine?

I'm sure I'm going to be badgering you with tons of questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

My Voyager would NOT sew with anything but King Tut. However, the Fun Quilter will use anything. I don't sew really fast, that may help a bit.

To SID, you can hold a long arm straight edge (rulers aren't thick enough) by the seam and guide the hopping foot along it. You will need an extension on your machine base for the straight edge to rest on.

I also have a set of handles that fit around the hopping foot and allow me to guide the machine. I can't find a picture on line, but when I get home I will get one.

beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Stitch in the Ditch ruler

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 10:53PM
loisflan

I should have made it clear that the Tiara is a sit down machine, not a true long arm. I'm still moving the quilt, not the machine head. I think the straight edge idea would still work for SITD though. Maybe stitching 1/8-1/4" from the ditch might work better. We'll see. I can tell that the learning curve is going to be steep.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 11:10PM
loisflan

Thanks, Beverly. I ordered the ruler. I pick up my machine tomorrow evening. I'm excited!!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
Need advice for quilting a thin top that I've had for 25 years
i was gifted a quilt kit when I was 13 or 14; it's...
alix4015
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™