recipe: disaster! barely averted

topoApril 29, 2007

Last night we had a dinner party for six and I thought I would stuff chicken breasts with some cheese, spices and herbs. I thought about it the night before and decided to mix ricotta, goat cheese, egg, garlic, chives, some haricot verde, S&P, roll them up, dust with flour, brown and finish in a 350 oven for 5 minutes. I didn't need no steeekin recipe!

WRONG.

The cheese mixture was so loose that it just smeared over the chicken, leaked everywhere, was impossible to deal with. (of course I didn't drain the ricotta, schmuck that I was) But I only had a few hours to deal with this nonsense.

Hmmmm. Well, the water I had used to blanch the green beans was still hot, may I could put this cheese mixture on it like a water bath and stiffen it up. So 10 minutes later, the egg had set up the cheese, and water exuded from the mess at the bottom which I blotted up.

Now I could stuff the chicken breasts and proceed to dust, saute and bake.

Enough good wine was around so no one noticed nuttin'. I got a good dose of humility (10,000 darn cookbook in the kitchen, God forbid I should read one).

Let that be a lesson to me.

Anyone else have disasters averted in their background?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodie2

There's usually enough wine flowing in our house also to cover up any disasters, so my answer would be no, not that I'll admit to :-)

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Oh, sure & I never believe anyone who says they never have. For larger parties I usually serve 2 main courses for those who "don't eat beef any more" or those who will eat seafood but don't eat meat. Amazing how well-placed garnishes can hide some mistakes. As long as it's cooked through, most gets eaten & even seconds are requested.

Sounds like you recovered very well!

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: looking for: potato boats recipe
What are the healthy ingredients you can incorporate...
elleau
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
RECIPE: Quick Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
Ingredients: 1tbsp oil 300g mixed stir-fry vegetables...
thermon1
LOOKING for: elephant garlic recipes?
i grew a bunch and now i don't know what to do with...
mollyjanea
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™