RECIPE: orange sherbet from norge fridge cookbook

chery2April 30, 2007

Whew! After a morning of formatting and re-formatting the layout of the NORGE COLD COOKERY and RECIPE DIGEST [No year given, but pictures of ringer washers and boasts of the Norge "Rollator," which consists of "three simple moving parts -- a roller, shaft and blade, which are sealed in a bath of oil" promise to "make you healthier, wealthier, and happier" would date it back to at least the '50s, wouldn't you say?]

I get impatient with recipies for ice cream that end with something like, "Follow ice-cream maker manufacturer's instructions" for time and consistency, when I don't HAVE an ice-cream maker. (Same is true w/ a recipe called "Dill Biscuits" whose first ingredient is a roll of 10 refrigerator biscuits!)

PINEAPPLE SHERBET

The following sherbet requires one or two stirrings

to give it a fine, even texture. However, the home manager

may prefer the extra work rather than pay the price

of whipping cream. (Don't you love it?!)

Combine pineapple (juice and pulp), orange juice, rind, and sugar.

Stir until the sugar is entirely dissolved.

Add the evaporated milk and salt.

Pour into a tray and freeze in the Norge Refrigerator.

When partially frozen, remove from the tray and stir thoroughly.

(Serves 6.)

1 CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE

¼ CUP ORANGE JUICE

1 t. GRATED ORANGE RIND

1/4 CUP POWDERED SUGAR

1 TALL CAN EVAPORATED MILK (What's a "tall can" of EM?)

1/8 TEASPOON. SALT

The little book also offers recipes for Sandwiches and Spreads, Tasty Meat Dishes, Sunday Night Suppers, Salads, Salad Dressings, Desserts, Ice Cream and Ices, Cookies, Cakes, and Refrigerator Rolls.

If anyone's craving an old recipe from one of those categories, let me know, and I'll try to format it for you.

chery2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Norge...likely from the 60's...early 60's..
And I will tell you that if you make icecream with what my mother used to call "vappy" it will taste like "vappy"...EWWW...Pop for the cream!!
Evaporated milk comes in 2 sizes...a tall can...think it holds about 12 oz, and a short can which holds 1/2 that.
Way back when, lots of people used "vappy" in their coffee and tea....even restraunts ( at least on the east coast) even offered a choice of evaporated milk or cream with your coffee. Growing up there was always a short can of "vappy" with 2 holes punched into the top, sitting in the refrigerator, because one of my grand mothers who lived with us preferred it....EWWW!!
Linda C

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 1:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

My aunt used to make orange sherbert in the ice cube trays from the little, bitty freezer in the refrigerator. I used to love the stuff. And Norge refrigerators went back at least to the early 50's. Don't know about earlier than that.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™