RECIPE: Seasoned beef for sandwiches

KarigraphyApril 15, 2008

Hello - My in-laws who are now deceased used to make a large pan of sliced beef they called "Seasoned Beef." I'm looking for a recipe for something similar.

Their recipe had sliced beef in beef broth and some seasonings that when cooked together made a flavorful meat for sandwiches.

We are having a family party after a first communion so I'd like something that can be in the crockpot for 2 hours while we are at church.

I'm not sure about the slicing of the beef. They had a restaurant so I think they made roast beef, let it cool, slice it on a meat slicer, then put it into a large, electric roaster for cooking with the seasonings.

I don't have a slicer so I'm at a loss as far as how the beef would get sliced . . . by the butcher? By us? At the deli counter with precooked roast beef?

Thanks for any info!

Kari

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have made what some call "Italian beef". It was rump roast, in a covered roaster, then a couple of cups of dry red wine, a can of beef broth and sometimes a jar of pepperoncini with the juice, sometimes just lots of oregano and garlic and 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire. Cook the meat well done but not falling apart. Refrigertae in the juice, when cold, slice thin ( I don't have a slicer either, I use a knife!) and warmed up in the juice.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 10:22AM
seagrass_gw

Kari - This is a recipe that was posted on these forums awhile ago. It's delicious. It might be something you can work with.

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
8 French or sourdough rolls, split
Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemay, thym & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until wel blended. Place rost in cooker & cover.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~
Posted by Ginger St. Thomas

seagrass

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 11:14AM
roselin32

This is Ginger St. Thomas' "Italian Beef" that we really like:
ITALIAN BEEF
One 3-4 lb roast beef (rump roast or sirloin tip)
1 jar pepperochini peppers, juice & all
1 can beer
1 can beef bouillon
Combine all ingredients in a large crockpot. Cook on high 30 minutes; reduce heat to low. Cook until beef is tender. For supper, start cooking before work. If you want it for luch cook at bedtime.)
Remove meat from juices, slice thinly & return to pot. Serve on hoagie buns & dip sandwiches in juice.~~

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 3:42PM
Karigraphy

Thanks so much for the recipes.

lindac - I bet yours is most like my in-laws. We do have a few people who cannot eat spicy food so I would probably leave out the pepperoncini.

roselin32- I made that Italian beef one time and it was delicious but not very much like my in-laws.

seagrass - that sounds good and easy. I'm going to talk to DH about the slicing versus shredding issue.

Sliced seems nicer for a party . . . but I know I'm going to be doing the slicing because DH slices too thickly! But I could see how it could be cooked and sliced before church and it would be just fine when we get home.

Time to think about it.

Kari

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 11:03PM
lindac

If you chill iot before slicing, it will slice easier and the slices will stay neater.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 9:59AM
roselin32

Have you tried slicing with an electric knife?

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
RECIPE: Quick Red Thai Curry Noodle Soup
Ingredients: 1tbsp oil 300g mixed stir-fry vegetables...
thermon1
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet
I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate...
linnea56
LOOKING for: Dip and spread mixes sold at craft shows
Does anyone know where I can find recipes for the dip...
NanaCherie
Sponsored Products
Zoku Quick Pops Recipe Book
$16.95 | FRONTGATE
Prime Pacific 100-quart Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Stock Pot and Steamer Tray
Overstock.com
School Days Personalized Note Pad
$16.99 | zulily
Zojirushi Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker
$200.00 | FRONTGATE
Sea Salt Chocolate Selection - BLUE
$38.00 | Horchow
Unlacquered Unlined Solid Copper Moscow Mule 16-ounce Mugs (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
'Motivate' Chalkboard Personalized Decal
$24.99 | zulily
Calculate Dish Towel
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™