Making a hot pad

czigaJune 30, 2007

As I'm still new to this, I don't have any tips to offer . . . I do however have loads of questions which might help both me and others learn more . . . and I can certainly contribute those :)

I have been wondering lately about making a heat pad or a hot pad for kitchen use - you know, those pads that you lay down on the counter to protect it from hot pots or pans. Is there a special material to make them out of? I imagine that a quilted top, a layer or two of batting, and a backing would be enough layers of fabric to protect the counter, but what about the quilted top? Wouldn't regular cotton scorch under the heat of a really hot pot? Do you use a special fabric for the top? Or for the batting? Heat resistant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicky4x4

Yep, they make special stuff for hot pads. It is heat resistant and they do sell it Joann's. But here is a link so you can read about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: hot pad batting

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 8:29PM
maryliz

There is a heat resistant batting called Insul-Brighthref> made by the Warm Company, makers of many types of quilt batting. It is available at Joann's in the interfacing display.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 8:32PM
biwako_of_abi

I don't know about the best sort of filling for a hot pad, but here is a link to one that is made in an interesting way. I haven't tried it out yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Folded Star Hot Pad directions

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 9:56PM
grammyp

I have one I keep on my counter and it is just cotton fabric with cotton batting and back. I don't use it to pick up hot things and it works just fine. Don't know if I would use it to protect wood surfaces, but on my counter I have no problems. If you want to use it to pick up hot pots or oven trays, you will want to use the Insul-Bright and heat resistant backing.

beverly

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 10:02PM
laurainsdca

I bought some insulbright but have not tried it out yet. I have made several hot pads and they were just regular quilting cotton fabric and I put 4 to 5 layers of cotton batting inside. They were as heat resistant as any store bought hot pads.

I did use them and they got food stains and burns on them -- maybe that's just my slovenly nature -- but if I put a lot of effort into making a really nice one in the future it will stay on the wall!!!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 1:48PM
jennifer_in_va

Laura,
I've made some this way too! Lots of layers, but nothing special! It's just about time for some new ones...mine are stained & scorched too!

This is a great way to use up rogue blocks that you have left over!!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 2:36PM
cziga

So the idea is a heat resistant batting, or lots of layers.

The Therma Flec (?) material looks promising for a quilt top that won't scorch, but no colour selection or anything like that. Maybe a regular cotton top, with heat resistant batting would be best, and then just keep replacing every once in a while when it gets scorched?

Jennifer: that's what I thought too, a great way to use blocks that are left over or didn't come out to quite the right size (or whatever :))

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 9:47PM
agnesd

Hi,

See the Cotton Theory posting. I meant to post it within here.

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 10:01AM
lilypad22

I had bought a book on quilted pot holders, how to and patterns, this summer. I could not find the heat resistant batting, so I bought a teflon ironing board cover. I am planning to make them for the holidays to share, so I'm hoping this will work. I was going to put a layer of pretty fabric on the outside to hide the blue teflon pad.

tish

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
First & Second completed quilted table runners I made...
This is the second one I made... I made this for my...
shihtzu4su
Sponsored Products
Palo Alto Collection 18 1/2" High Silver Leaf Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Adella Corner Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Rapallo 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan AG845H-BN
Home Depot
GreenLite Extra-Large Bamboo Cutting Board
$24.99 | zulily
Secret Garden Area Rug - 2'x 3'
Grandin Road