LOOKING for: Tips for tender corned beef........

eileenlaunonenMarch 14, 2007

Any tips I usually simmer in a beer/water broth...but ill take a few hints an tips TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kim47

Hi, I usually do the beer/water also with pickling spices and cook it all day on a low simmer and it's always tender.
Maybe you just need a little more time cooking it? Good luck.
Kim

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 7:56PM
lindac

The main clue is don't bring it to a roaring boil...keep the temp at the barest simmer....and cook it until it's fork tender. Allow atleast 4 hours for a 3 1/2 pound piece of meat....and the same for a 4 1/2 pound piece.
Loooong sloooooow cooking.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 10:48PM
eileenlaunonen

Got it thanks !!!!

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 8:14AM
cnetter

I have one in the crock pot now, with lots of water. I put it in the night before and let it cook on low until supper time today. It ends up very tender.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 1:59PM
sharon_fl

I had to cook 80 lbs of corned beef yesterday...I let mine come to a boil-then simmer for 4-5 hours-depending on the size of the meat. I always put a whole onion in with the meat as well. Oh-and as that 'scum' develops on top of the water? Keep skimming that off, during the cooking period.
Last night-Elton Brown on the Food Network said by adding a Tbs of salt petre (I always spelled that peter!) to the water-it will keep the corned beef nice & pink in color-hmm-I didn't and my meat's nice & pink.

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 7:52AM
lindac

Yet another reason whi I don't like Alton Brown...he puts his face close to the camera and tells you all these secrets! When in fact most are 1/2 truths.
Yes, saltpeter ( the most common way to spell it, but in UK it's most often spelled "re") does keep the meat from turning color...but processed cornbeef that you buy already has the nitrates in it.
If you corned your own meat and didn't add sodium or potassium nitrate, it would be sort of greyish.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Sauce for Meat
Years ago my Grandmother use to do a lot of canning....
darrah
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™