Decorative front door flags

susandail_mMay 5, 2014

Are these flags, which were so popular "back in the day" still popular?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonnieann925

I just bought a new garden flag to hang at the entrance to our front walkway yesterday. Flags, whether hung on the house, or in the garden are a nice way to welcome people. Our house has little/no visibility from the street, so I always change the walkway flag seasonally.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:52PM
bpathome

This year I hung solar lanterns from my mini flag stands, giving the flags a year off. I like it! I think I was the last holdout in the neighborhood, which this time of year and in the fall leans toward college flags.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:33PM
hhireno

I was just walking around my 'hood and noticed many so they are still popular here. It was a mix of the small ones in gardens and full sized on flagpoles on porches.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:52PM
chloenkitty

Not so much where I live. I just think it's a personal preference. Anything can be nice if you like it and it's not overdone.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:05PM
susandail_m

When we moved from New Jersey in 2006, it seemed like every home still had a flag hung at the front entrance. We have recently moved back to the East Coast and I don't see many at all. We are in Maryland, outside DC. Maybe it's a regional thing. I'll keep checking the neighborhoods as I travel around our new area.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:53PM
Elraes Miller

As a military town, we have many American Flags. Mine is for my two Army guys. I have a motion light that comes on at night. Garden flags are all over the place to buy, but am seeing far less of them being used.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:08AM
jjam

After several years without one; we've gone back to putting out a garden flag. I guess we missed it. I think the key is not to feel you HAVE to have a flag outside. Some were just silly and the whole thing got a bit overdone.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:48AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I think it's a trend that's been waning for awhile. A lot depends on the style of the house...some are more appropriate for a colorful flag than others....

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:15AM
tinam61

I really don't care if it's popular or not, I like flags and have used them for years. I have a large one out front and a garden flag in a landscaped area out back.

tina

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:21AM
fouramblues

There isn't a single decorative flag in my small neighborhood in MD, outside of DC, but three houses (mine included) display the US flag year-round, and several more display it around patriotic holidays.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Curtain Height?
My walkout basement ceilings are 9 feet. I like curtains...
mattypies
tibbrix
Advice on blue ceiling please
I'm planning to repaint our living room sometime soon,...
jlc712
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™