RECIPE: Easy alfredo sauce from scratch?

linnea56March 26, 2014

My grad student daughter is always ordering chicken alfredo in restaurants. She cooks a lot but doesn't like the sauces that come in a jar.

I told her I would find out how to make it from scratch, as I figured it must start out with a white sauce base. That I could teach her easily enough.

The only problems I foresee are: she is a student, so complicated recipes are out. Plus, it would be best if it did not use heavy cream. There is no grocery store nearby other than a convenience store, whose stock caters to students, and she does not have a car. When we take her shopping every now and then, what she buys has to last. Ingredients like milk, sour cream, cream cheese, and cheese would be no problem to find at the convenience store.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Check the Cooking Forum

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:20PM
meyoohoo

The original recipe for this classic preparation is simple and perfect for your daughter's situation: Pasta, unsalted butter and grated, aged parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Professionally speaking, anything could be added to this to suit a variety of tastes but this is the basic authentic recipe, which is not a cream sauce.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:55AM
cgkats7

not from scratch..... I use Knorr alfredo dry mix. 1/2 cup mix to 2 cups milk, it's very good. I sprinkle a little grated romano on top if I'm just making it for pasta.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 9:42PM
zackey

First time here. A friend gave me a Japanese eggplant plant. How can I cook it without using tomato sauce or oil?

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:32PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

This recipe used to be on the back of the box of Skinner's Fettuccine. It is so easy. Just make everything is put out ahead of time so that it is at room temperature.

1 cup whipping cream
1 stick butter or margarine
1 T dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh
1 - 1 ý cups Parmesan cheese
1 package (12 oz) fettucine, uncooked

Bring all items to room temperature.

Cook fettucine according to package directions in salted water and drain, reserving some of the cooking water. Put in large bowl.

Immediately add the remaining ingredients to the hot pasta and stir until extremely well mixed and cheese is melted. If necessary, stir in a small ladle of the cooking water to make a very creamy sauce

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 6:18PM
blizlady

walnutcreek, that sounds like a super alfredo sauce to add to my low carb recipes. I would add it to sauteed veggies and for those that can have the carbs, over the pasta. I bet this would make a great sauce for a lasagna with white sauce.

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Corn chowder recipe
I recently had this and it was delicious. The only...
flowergirl70ks
RECIPE: Onion Soup What to mix with Guyere cheese
I'm planning to make my French Onion Soup for a number...
qmarker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™