Next step - Choosing Backsplash

watercoloristApril 21, 2013

Yikes! I know kitchen renovations can be stressful and I know it will be better in the end without a stove that is duck-taped together :) but oh, how I wish this project already complete.

I am renovating my kitchen with Classic white cabinetry (recessed panel door with pewter glaze accent) and Millenium Cream granite for penisula & countertops. See picture below. I am thinking about a glazed, crackled biscuit color subway tile, 3 x 6, for the backsplash. I found this tiny gray granite that might be useful to incorporate in the backsplash. The kitchen is not large and I am looking to keep things light and bright. Would love to know what backsplashes others have put with these combinations of granite and cabinetry. The granite has tones of gray, cream, brown and the tiniest hue of peach in it.

Does anyone know of a place to purchase crackled, glazed tile at a reasonable price?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phiwwy

I love that mosaic - what is it? it looks like wooden beige marble.

regarding prices - I say find what you like first. BS is generally a pretty small area and it's so hard to find the perfect one.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:00PM
watercolorist

Phylhl, I agree with you about making sure. In fact, my fabricator suggested I wait to order backsplash materials until the counters are installed.

I think the grey "mosaic" is a type of marble or granite, although I am not 100% certain. I liked it because it looks like driftwood which is representative of the beach location of the house.

I would love to see pictures of a BS arrangements using subway tiles and small squares of another tile.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:28PM
EAM44

The phrase "reasonable price" will mean different things to different people. Please specify a budget in $/sf.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:50PM
watercolorist

EAM44, one place quoted $25.00 per square foot plus $125.00 shipping. Can I do better?

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 6:37AM
a2gemini

Watercolor
Which region of the country do you live?
Have you tried to find it locally to save shipping?
I used a crema crackle tile - I could find it on both coasts but not the Midwest - but ended up ordering since it still was a reasonable tile when I amoritized shipping.
That mosaic is pretty. I remember seeing some crackle tiles that leaned a bit more gray than cream but don't remember the names

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 6:52AM
watercolorist

A2gemini, I live in the northeast. I would like to save the shipping cost. The crackle tile I found was handmade in CA, thus the high shipping cost. I like your thoughts about the crackle tile "leaning a bit more grey." Nice call!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
Framed beaded inset or frameless? Same price
I finally have decided on Cabinet wood and cabinet...
Traumanurse1
Conestoga essence line or merrilat classic with upgrades
Has anyone worked with the Conestoga essence line cabinets?...
jgHG
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™