looking for: garden city, mi. loose burgers

always.cookingMarch 20, 2012

I'm looking for the recipe for the ole time Loose Burgers I got in Garden City with the chili sauce. They were delicious. The place is gone now, of course. Some people call them Maid Rites. I'm not sure what the correct name is but either way, the recipe would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir

not sure if this is what you're looking for, it says they are popular in the midwest not specifically Garden City.

Here is a link that might be useful: maid rite copycat recipe

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 1:01PM
shambo

Maid Rites are a big deal in the midwest, and I was first introduced to them when visiting my husband's family in Iowa. Maid Rites re usually steamed ground beef. You can sort-of duplicate the process at home by cooking the lightly browned ground beef in a combination of beef broth and chicken broth until all the liquid is absorbed and evaporated. The recipe linked to above is close except for the inclusion of the onion soup mix.

I'm curious about the chili sauce, though. Maid Rites are served with mustard and/or catsup. When you say chili sauce, are you talking about the same kind of chili sauce used for chili dogs? Or are you referring to the chili sauce condiment that is more like a chunky ketchup product?

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:38PM
always.cooking

The chili sauce I'm referring to is like chili you eat in a bowl - just without the beans. It had it's own taste and really complimented the loose burger. The ones I had NEVER had pickles or relish - just onions and mustard. Oh, they make me hungry just thinking about them. Kinda like a chili dog that A&W had back then.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 7:27PM
always.cooking

Thanks so much for the loose burger/Maid Rite copycat recipe. I just need the chili dog chili recipe and I'll be all set !!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
LOOKING for: elephant garlic recipes?
i grew a bunch and now i don't know what to do with...
mollyjanea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™