LOOKING for: Your Favorite Tripe Recipe

donna_loomisMarch 14, 2008

Please, no cracks about how nasty the stuff is. I happen to love it, but I'm looking for something different than menudo to make with it. Many years ago I knew someone who made a stew with it, but I never found out the particulars. Do any of you have any T&T recipes to share with me? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heyreub

I grew up eating fried tripe for breakfast and it is great. My mother would get a can or pickled tripe at the grocery store, cut in in smaller pieces, dip it in a thick flour/buttermilk batter and fry in a black cast iron pan in either Crisco or lard. I haven't had any luck finding any lately but know that I could find it in a smaller town.(Outside of Atlanta)

It is pickled in a vinegar based liquid and pre-cooked somewhat. I have seen a recipe for the preparation of pickled tripe on the net on a Cajun cooking site.

Also, you take the left over batter and make pancakes with it. You might have to add a little more flour to get the right thickness. My daughter still talks about how grandma made the best pancakes she ever ate.

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 3:55PM
khandi

I just looked in my mother's old cookbook (1952) and it has several recipes for tripe. Let me know which ones you'd like and I'd be happy to post them.

- Baked, with bacon
- Boiled
- Fried Pickled
- Fritters
- Patties

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:30AM
donna_loomis

Khandi, I'd love to have the "baked, with bacon" and patties recipes. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
recipe: iso very simple yellow squash gratin
I am looking for a recipe that I can use for a squash...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet
I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate...
linnea56
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™