Do most closings happen?

sand16May 21, 2009

We have buyers for our home and are set to close in mid-July. We just found a home we would like to put an offer on. Would you be nervous about not doing a subject to sale contingency even though you have a signed offer to purchase? We want to make as clean as offer as possible but want to be prudent at the same time. What would you do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Not only would I be nervous about it, I wouldn't do it. You just never know.

On the other hand, as the seller of your future house, I would accept an offer with a contingency such as yours.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 7:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lido

The 'buyers' of our house changed their minds 3 days before closing and we didn't close. It took us another 6 months to sell the home.

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER write a contract without that sale contingency...unless I had absolutely enough money to afford both mortgages.

Plan for the worst case scenario.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c9pilot

The financing for the last house we sold fell through the morning of closing. I'd never had a closing fail before that one, but these are different times. I don't think a single closing in my neighborhood has occurred on the original set closing date (all eventually closed however).

    Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 8:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg_in_mi

Ours fell thru one week before closing. Sold to a different buyer 3 months later.
Kathy G in MI

    Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 11:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Statistically, yes, most closings do happen. That probably isn't what you are interested in though. You are just concerned if YOUR closing goes through. Unless you have a crystal ball, it is wise to give yourself an out in these uncertain times. Since most areas are still pretty slow, a contingency will probably be accepted by the seller.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisk327

I would make the offer and put the "contingency" in there. However, I think it wouldn't be an issue as there really aren't many other choices, most everyone has a home to sell to buy the trade up house. The key though is that you will have buyers for your house in contract.

As a seller, I wouldn;t accept a general gotta sell my house clause, but its a different story if there is a prequalified buyer in contract.

    Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 3:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southernstitcher

Here is how nice we've been, and I wish the same to you! My sister and I agreed to engage with a couple who's house wasn't even on the market, contingent upon the sale of their home. When my sister got the agreement to sign and return (she lives in another state), she decided no, she would rather wait till they actually had a buyer.
This angered the couple, who stated they did their part by immediately putting their house on the market. They already had interested parties, and had applied for mortgage approval. So my sister said she would still wait for them to get a buyer before sending back the agreement, but we wouldn't engage with anyone else for 30 days and we'd do a 60 day agreement if they got a buyer in that time frame.
It took them 45 days to get an agreement signed, but they got the mortgage approval pretty early on. We kept giving extensions.
Now with only 34 days left on that agreement, we're no closer to anything happening. Their buyer has been dealing with contractors to get his place repaired for his closing (his company is buying his house) since the end of April.
So, you simply never know. Check that clause and don't ever ever trust that any closing is going to happen until hands are shaken and it's a done deal!

    Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c9pilot

Well, looks like tomorrow's closing isn't going to happen either.

    Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny

Why??

    Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 10:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c9pilot

Sorry, I just realized the explanation is on another thread...
basically the appraisal came in $10K below sales price and the UW is pressuring the appraiser to drop it another $5K. Even the $10K kills the sale so I don't know what the UW is trying to accomplish. The buyer is putting 20% down and has golden credit. His pre-approval letter states "approved for a SALES PRICE of $xxxK" which is why we agreed to the price, so he (a 13-year excellent tenant) wouldn't have to renegotiate his loan. Doesn't say "has to appraise at $anything", and logic says that it should only have to appraise at the loan amount anyway, not the sales price.
The #1 comp is a non-waterfront, non-waterview, not even a water access community, interior unit, no basement, no boat slip, footprint acreage (my unit has nearly .25 acres), but same square footage townhouse. No correction for the end unit, end of development unit. (I suppose there's no difference between a ground floor, penthouse, or any condos in between using this logic?)
And I just got this link this morning, as if I didn't know this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Appraisals Roil RE Deals

    Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 8:12AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Happy story: my sis just bought her first house
Just thought I'd share a happy story! My sister's been...
robo (z6a)
Getting house ready to sell and have door knob question.
My house is going on 11 yrs old. Everything is pretty...
padillasideas
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
Purchasing a Home with a Converted Attic
My bf and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom with room...
bellemorte9506
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™