Realtor Incentives

organic_rosefaerieMay 30, 2010

Hi-

I posted this as a suggestion on another post for someone who was trying to sell a house, but I wanted to open it to the group for comments.

If you had a house for sale and wanted to buy again in the same area that you are selling, is it legal to offer real estate agents the following incentive:

Bring a buyer (who ultimately purchases your house) and at closing you will sign a deal to use that agent to purchase your next house?

Any thoughts about this? Is it Kosher?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

Yes, I think that you could do that, but would you really want to? What if a Realtor that you really don't like, or is just not that good of an agent happens to have a buyer that buys your house. Now you are stuck with using that Realtor to find and purchase a home. I wouldn't want to be locked in to using an agent that might not be my choice.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 6:36PM
cmarlin20

I agree with Terriks, I wouldn't want to sign an agreement with any old agent.
The agent that brings a buyer already wants that buyer to buy, the best you can do is price your house well, keep it looking good.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 6:51PM
david_cary

Since I am of the opinion that buyer's agents are not that important if you know what you want, I say go for it. But then again I always use a buyer's agent that gives me cash back at closing.

I did 3% to buyer's agents when the standard around here is 2.4%. We were FSBO so I thought it fair to offer a bit more for the hassle of dealing with us amateurs. It was an unusual house and sold fairly well I thought. The house went on the market 6 months later and sold in twice the time and at 10% less price in a relatively stable market.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
CO inspections...and other issues/questions
Son is buying a 1951 home. Inspector noticed the top...
cindywhitall
Should we buy a home that was unoccupied for 6 years?
There is a cup-de-sac where a builder built 5 homes,...
coffeemama1
Being Sued for Home Sale
We had our home built in 2003.It was our dream home.Half...
camsgt
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™