Miele Induction Cooktop: Set Flush or Drop In

sandcaApril 7, 2011

Miele says the induction cooktop can be installed flush with the counter or with the edge sitting on top of the counter and it can't be permanently sealed in place. I would prefer to install it flush with the counter to give a sleeker look. To do this the fabricator would have to rout out a little ledge for it to sit on and I'm afraid that the transition between the cooktop and counter would become a crumb/spill collector. How did you install yours and are you happy with your method of installation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Caulk isn't permanent--if it starts to get gunky flush mounted, you could probably use some. I'm sure the manufacturer would say not to do so, though.

It looks great flush IF and ONLY if you can get it installed perfectly. Do you trust your fabricator? :D Cuz you can't undo it!

Cotehele has a flush mount I think. Not that it matters in her pretty kitchen--a coil top would look fab in there...

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 11:32AM
isle2isle

Agree with Fori - the fabrication has to be perfect to do it flush with the counter, and even then I'm sure gunk would get in. Our Miele induction cooktop is top monunted and it's still a very sleek look... barely over 1/4" above the stone...and very easy to clean around that thin metal rim. (Our model is from last year...so I assume the Miele cooktop still has that metal frame).

Sorry I can't post a picture of ours right now but maybe later.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 12:45PM
cotehele

Fori, thanks. :-)

Here are a couple of pics of the flush mount cooktop. The fabricator took the cooktop to the shop and did the opening there. There is 1/8'' clearance on each side. He is an engineer who designed all the heavy equipment he uses to fabricate stone. I trusted him completely.

Don't use caulk around the cooktop. Cleaning isn't that difficult with the unit in place. Running a small icing spatula wrapped in a damp paper towel or very thin cloth gets out most of the crumbs. Also my Dyson hand vac sucks a lot of loose crumbs out. When it needs major cleaning, it can be pushed out with total access to the countertop.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 8:32PM
sandca

Cotehele you aren't sorry that you had it installed flush then?

Shannon

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 9:21PM
cotehele

Not at all, Shannon. I would do it again. Cleaning around anything with an edge on the counter can be as much or more hassle to clean, too.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 9:23PM
isle2isle

Shannon - sounds as if you like the idea of the inset look, but here are some pix so you have a look at the induction cooktop mounted on the counter in a modern kitchen. Good luck!

a super close-up of the corner (complete with lots of reflections!)

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Need help on storing root vegetables
Can anyone help me with ideas to store my root veges...
sl4321
Sponsored Products
Miele RX1 Scout Robot Vacuum
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
Miele Classic C1 Olympian Canister Vacuum
$329.00 | FRONTGATE
Miele Classic C1 Delphi Canister Vacuum
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Miele Outdoor Teak Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Sophia Outdoor Teak Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE