What do you think of this Ruler?

magothyrivergirlJune 8, 2011

For making Flying Geese. I have made them using this method - no special ruler & they turned out a tad to large. Do you think this ruler is worth it?

Teresa - you just made many FG - did you use a special ruler?

I need thread-gotta spend more money to get free shipping~lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecting Thread - Flying Geese Ruler

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicky4x4

I use the no waste method and I don't think they were too big. I think this is a lot of money for something you can do with the tools you already have.

Vicky

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 5:21PM
polardreams

I have this ruler and I like it. Unless there is a way to remember what sizes to cut the large/small squares to use this method, I need all the help I can get! I suppose you could just make up some sort of chart showing what sizes go with what - but I would probably lose it!

Good luck with your decision.
Sue

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 5:55PM
Carol_from_ny

What works for me may not work for you. I say if you think you want it and will use it then go ahead and get it.
IMHO I think we quilters should have a get together every once in awhile for the swapping out of stuff we've bought and either don't like or have grown tired of. I know a few husbands who would love that idea! LOL

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 8:10PM
lola99

I'm pretty sure that about a year ago GrammyP posted a link to this no waste method and if I remember correctly her link had directions for the math so you could make any size flying geese using this method but you didn't need the special ruler. I'll see if I can find her post.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 11:30PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I also use the No-Waste way of making Flying Geese. No need for a special ruler. Cut the big square 1 1/4" larger than the finished width and the little squares 7/8" larger than the finished height. Try this method before paying that much for a ruler and see how you like it.

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: No Waste Method

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 6:58AM
magothyrivergirl

Thanks for your opinions. There is a book I would like to have that is 40% off ~ I'm guessing I will benefit from the book more than the ruler, which I think is very expensive.

I am going to try this method again using the measurements Sharon posted - thank you the the link.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 8:42AM
fran1523

Another vote for the NoWaste method that Sharon provided the link for. It's really easy and free.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 8:54AM
lindaoh_gw

I have the ruler but I don't use it. I bought it when I was a new quilter and just didn't use it after seeing the No Waste method.
Linda OH

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™