RECIPE: Baked Fennel with Prosciutto

annova914February 21, 2010

I just tried this for the first time today and we loved it. Cooked fennel is so delicious! My fennel probably weighed 1-1/2 lbs so I used a 10" round casserole dish. I bought a 4 oz package of prosciutto (already thinly sliced and so thin they have to be separated by paper) and used half of it. Next time I make this I'll cut back on the butter as 1/3 cup is too much (I think). I made it ahead of time and when it came out of the oven we couldn't stop "testing" it. This is easy to make (probably can be made several hours in advance and then popped into the oven). Ann

Baked Fennel with Prosciutto

2-1/2 lbs fresh fennel, trimmed & cut into wedges

3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto

1/3 cup melted butter

1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Drop in the fennel wedges, and cook them at a gentle boil for 10 to 15 minutes, just until you can pierce them easily with a sharp knife tip. Lift out the wedges and drain well.

Cut the prosciutto slices crosswise into strips, about 1/4" wide. Set a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees.

Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish with a tablespoon or two of the melted butter. Lay the fennel wedges in one layer, filling the dish, and scatter the prosciutto strips over and in between the wedges. Add salt and pepper. Drizzle the remaining butter all over. Finally, sprinkle over it the grated cheese, covering the whole dish evenly.

Bake the dish for 25 minutes, or until the top is crusty and golden and the edges of the prosciutto and fennel are also colored and crisp. Serves 6.

source: Lydia Bastianich

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodie2

Saved and filed and am printing a copy out right now, can't wait to try this one! Thanks, Ann.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 4:42PM
graanieb

Same here, thank you Ann for the great recipe.

Plan on planting Florence Fennel asap, gotten seeds in a trade.

You're right, it can be fine with less butter ( may be 1-2 T unsalted butter and 1-2 T olive oil?) also no salt necessary with prosciutto and parmesan ( which I'll use about 1/2 c).

Wondering about adding some shredded mozzarella or provolone?

thanks again,
Bea

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:57PM
annova914

I'm thinking that the next time I make this dish I'll use shredded gruyere instead of the parmesan...less salty and I just love gruyere. Last night I heated the very small leftover and we divided it "even-steven" :)...it was soooo good.

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls
Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together...
dspen
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: Looking for: Date Nut Bread Recipe
I've tried a few recipes and have often been disappointed....
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: anise liquid ..?
In making biscochitos, I find the anise seed is not...
vieja_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™