UFO baby quilt ready to go (pic)

toolgrannyJune 9, 2012

I keep putting this one off but the baby is due in August in Germany so I put it at the top of the list. I'm glad to get it done and the FMQ warms me up for other things.

Not my best photography but fabric is 30s style. The basic layout is a published pattern and I just added the animal faces myself with needle turn applique. It's a very easy project.

This has been washed and dried so looks a bit puffy. I have to do this to convince them it's okay to wash it. They still have the Chubby Chicks for the first baby and are afraid to let her use it because it might get dirty. Well, duh. So this time I'll prove it before I send it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

Well, that's a darn cute quilt! It looks like a variation of Atkinson Designs' Slide Show. Love the animals peeking out!

I have a friend who is "saving" the baby quilts I made for her kids...I think till they are big enough to not spill stuff on them. I've told her over and over they are cotton and machine washable and dryable, but I think she still has them packed away. :(

Donna

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 5:22PM
loisflan

The quilt is so adorable! I really like the pattern, and the animal faces were a clever addition. Very nice work.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 6:05PM
bev2009

How cute is that ?!?! I love the animal faces and the cheerful colors.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 6:50PM
karpet

That is very cute!
Karlene

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:01PM
K8Orlando

Love it!!!

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:50PM
polardreams

Linda, that is the cutest quilt! I love your little applique animals - really makes the quilt. I hope they enjoy it.
Sue

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:17PM
jennifer_in_va

Well isn't that just the most darling thing?!

I always wash mine first ( to make sure it doesn't fall apart! lol) and encourage the quilts be used!

You can't dictate what the recipients do with it though. My brother/SIL have my niece's quilt hanging on the wall like art. I'd rather it be used, but I guess it's a compliment to think they see it as art.?

You can only prove it's washable; you can't make them wash it!

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:35PM
nanajayne

That is a darling quilt. I love the way the sashing is done and the animals are perfect! I don't usually wash my quilts but it is a good idea. Like Jennifer I have had may of mine put on display rather then used. When it leaves it no longer belongs.lol.TFS

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:05PM
calliope

I love it........and when I got to the picture of the backing, that nailed it. Perfect.

Laughing, because the baby quilt I made the latest g'child is still folded up in the closet. I don't think he has ever seen it and he's now 2-1/2. I'm not offended, because I heard her utter something like 'Oh it's too nice to really use' when she opened it. Yeah, I had washed it as well. One of these days when I'm babysitting, maybe I'll hunt for it and let him decide if he wants to use it, instead of saving it for one of his kids. LOL.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:14PM
day2day

That is so cute!
I like it a lot.
I have made 2 small quilt in a variation of the
slide show pattern.(not sure but I think that's the name of it)
I like the pattern as is but the animal faces
really add to it.
Wonderful job.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:48AM
teresa_nc7

Oh so cute! Love the sashing! That would work well with some redwork/bluework, or that multicolored thread I haven't used yet.

Off to google that Atkinson Slide Show design - thanks for the great idea!

Teresa

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 8:42AM
wanda_va

That is sooo adorable! The animal faces are precious. Excellent job!!! Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 8:54AM
magothyrivergirl

Your quilt is darling. The animals are so cute. It is bright and cheery and they will love it. The 30's prints are perfect for this baby quilt.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 8:57AM
rosajoe_gw

I love it! Many of mine are put up in closets too. I made one for a great niece and my sister told her she would ruin it if she used it.

Your applique looks perfect!
Rosa

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:09PM
fran1523

That is sooo cute. Great work Linda as usual.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 7:57AM
quiltingfox

I think it's adorable especially with the animals on it. Thanks for sharing a photo of it.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 5:57PM
pirate_girl

I love it too, the peeking critters are just great & the way the sashing/borders work is great. Charmingly fun!

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
What I LOVE about Houzz!
Now, I'll bet THAT comes as a surprise, right? From...
beth7happy
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™