RECIPE: Need Recipes for Venison Roasts

macthayerFebruary 3, 2009

I am the happy recipient of 2 venison roasts, each about 3 pounds. (She gave me small ones because there is just me and my husband.) I've never cooked venison, but I do know they are lean and do better with slow, moist cooking --- I think anyway. The lady who gave them to me told me it was a young deer, but still quite lean. So, any suggestions for recipes so hubby and I can enjoy these two roasts? I do have a crock pot and also a clay pot cooker.

MacThayer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shirleywny5

I would use the crock pot for your venison roast. Add 2 cups of beef broth, 1 cut up onion, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and black pepper. or, you may use 2 cups water and 1 envelope onion soup mix. The oregano takes away any gamy taste.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spinachqueen

It's been awhile since I fixed a venison roast but remember that I used a baking bag. Season the roast with greek seasoning and put strips of bacon over the top of the roast. Place in baking bag and bake at 325 degrees or lower until a fork will easily pierce the meat. Slower baking temp seems to make for more tender meat. This makes good chopped barbacue if after baking you chop and add you favorite sauce.
Good luck!

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™