LOOKING for: simple Monte Cristo sandwich for 4 servings

mangomoonFebruary 25, 2008

The only recipes I can find for this sandwich, involve about 18 slices of bread, half doz eggs, etc...

I am looking for serving for two or 4 persons.

I have had this sandwich before and I found it to be delicious, but I am not too familiar with how it is served. One recipe I found said it is served with jam.

Hopefully someone can set me straight on this and a simple recipe. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
becky_ca

I love Monte Cristo sandwiches - usually they're served with powdered sugar sprinkled over the top and a side of raspberry jam.

I have never made them at home, but I think rather than trying to dip the entire sandwich in egg batter I would start by making French toast, and after it's cooked on one side and turned I'd layer the ham, turkey and cheese on the top and continue cooking like a grilled cheese sandwich.

Let us know how it goes - they're one of my favorite sandwiches but you hardly ever see them on a menu.

Becky

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 8:11PM
mangomoon

Oh Becky, I am starving. I only had it once and the memory hasn't faded, just how to make it exactly. You are correct, they are hard to find on menus. I love the Reuben sandwich too, but haven't made one yet..

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 9:50PM
angelaid

I make them at home exactly like Becky said. Make french toast. Flip and layer ham, turkey and cheese, add the top slice, cooked side down and continue cooking like a grilled cheese sandwich. (I warm the meats slightly in the microwave first). Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry or strawberry jam.
Man, I love those things.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 11:31AM
mangomoon

I just read somewhere this morning, while searching, that you can also use the frozen already made French toast (Trader Joe sells them).

I found this link. Way off beat, but what do you think?

http://www.ochef.com/r76.htm

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
LOOKING for: Dip and spread mixes sold at craft shows
Does anyone know where I can find recipes for the dip...
NanaCherie
LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet
I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate...
linnea56
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™