LOOKING for: Parmesan Infused Olive Oil

becky_caFebruary 19, 2008

I'm intrigued by a salad dressing recipe that was posted on the cooking forum, but I've never seen "Parmesan Infused Olive Oil" - has anybody else? Maybe I haven't seen it because I haven't looked for it, but I'm wondering if it's something I can make myself with those leftover rinds that seem to accumulate. I briefly toyed with the idea of posting there, but it's kind of turned into a discussion of copyrights, etc. so I thought I'd leave all that behind and ask here. Anybody have a recipe or any ideas...?

Becky

Lompoc, CA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blizlady

I didn't do a thorough search, but I found a post at Chow Hound where someone said the restaurant they worked at would fill a large jar with parmesan cheese rind and then pour over a good oil. Cover and let steep for a couple days.

Here is a recipe that I found at abc.net.au:

Parmesan Oil

Degree of difficulty: Low
Preparation time:5 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
You need:

500gm left-over parmesan rinds
3 cups canola oil (vegetable oil, or a blend of canola & olive oil*)
Method:

Place parmesan rinds and oil in a heavy-based pot over very low heat for about 8 hours. Allow to cool. Strain through a fine sieve (muslin cloth), pour into a sterilised jar and seal.

*the olive oil has a stronger, fruity flavour that might overpower the flavour of the infused oil

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 6:16PM
shambo

The recipe source for the salad dressing explained in her blog that she makes Parmesan infused oil by placing rinds from the cheese into a bottle of quality olive oil. She says that after about a month the oil takes on the aroma (and probably taste, as well) of the Parmesan.

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 6:45PM
danab_z9_la

You could also place the rinds into a Ball canning jar with olive oil and place in a hot water bath or pressure canner.

Dan

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet
I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate...
linnea56
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Looking for a few ideas
My husband and I are invited to a neighborhood party...
dspen
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™