Back-up offer and earnest money deposit

kansasmomMay 11, 2009

About 3 weeks ago we submitted a back-up offer on a house along with the $1,000 earnest money deposit (standard for our area). As far as we know, the sale of the house (to the other buyer) is still scheduled to go through this week. Just last week, our earnest money check was cashed! I thought that the sellers couldn't deposit our check unless they had accepted our offer. Does anyone know if the seller can deposit earnest money from a back-up offer when they still have the orignal offer under contract?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueheron

I thought the real estate agent kept the check in escrow and returned it to you if the sale went through.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 8:15PM
kansasmom

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I wrote the check to the real estate company, so it was deposited to an escrow account (I assume). Previous to this, we made a back-up offer on another house. The seller's agent on that house held the check, but did not deposit it to an escrow account. My questions is can the seller's agent deposit the check and hold the money in escrow even though my offer is only a back-up offer?

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 10:02PM
ncrealestateguy

A COPY of the check is all the buyer needs to present with an offer, until a contract is executed. Once the contract is executed, the agent has 3 days to get it into the escrow account.
You should have kept the check until contract. If you did hand over the check, the agent has no choice but to put it into escrow. The first agent should not have kept hold of a clients check for such a long time, w/o depositing it into an escrow account.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 6:53AM
More Discussions
How to Flip. Remodel doubles price of house
The prices are San Francisco values, but it's a terrific...
sushipup1
Purchasing a Home with a Converted Attic
My bf and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom with room...
bellemorte9506
Lady Realtor coming to house at 6:30pm and its dark outside?
I was looking up homes for sale around me on trulia...
tlbean2004
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™