LOOKING for: Your favorite pot roast recipe - slow cookr or pres

cookingrvcFebruary 23, 2008

Looking for your favorite crockpot or pressure cooker recipes for pot roast. It's cold with lots of snow on the ground, a perfect time to indulge in comfort food.

thanks,

sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
khandi

I do mine in a slow cooker. I make holes in the roast and insert garlic cloves. Sprinkle outside of roast with about 1 tsp oregano and black pepper. Let sit overnight in refrigerator (optional).

In a hot skillet with a little oil, sear all sides of the roast and transfer to crockpot. To same skillet, add chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add 1/2 cup medium-bodied red wine and deglaze the pan; transfer to crockpot. Add about 3 tablespoons of onion soup mix to 1-1/2 cups beef broth; mix well and add to crockpot. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or on High for 4-5 hours. Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and let rest for 15-20 minutes. Transfer broth from the crockpot to a saucepan and thicken with a slurry (cornstarch and water). Cook until thickened. You don't even have to cut the roast, just flake off pieces with a fork.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 1:43PM
teresa_nc7

This recipe from the Moderator of the Yahoo Pressure Cooker Group is very easy. I mix the mix envelopes and use 1/2 to 2/3 of the total as it can be a little too salty for me and I usually have less than 5 lb. of meat.

Ray's 3 Envelope Pot Roast

1 5 lb. beef pot roast (or smaller to fit in your size cooker)
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix

1 1/2 cups water or beef broth

Brown roast on all sides in a little oil. Put in pressure cooker and sprinkle mixed dry seasonings from the mixes all over the top. Add water, a little on the top and the rest down the sides. Put on cover to pot and cook under pressure for a pot roast according to your cooker's manual.

Let pressure decrease naturally and safely remove the lid. Transfer beef to a platter and keep warm. Thicken juices in the pot with a cornstarch and cold water slurry. Add roast back in and heat. Serve hot with extra gravy from the pot in a bowl.

Teresa

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 2:34PM
cookingrvc

Thanks ladies, will try those next time (after posting it occurred to me that I actually had a cookbook for pressure cooking!!!

The roast was just over 4 lbs and although it said to cook it for an hour, it was not tender enough so i cooked it for another hour, which did the job.

It was my first attempt at using the pressure cooker and aside from being afraid it might explode, it all went pretty well. Next...chicken stock.

s

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
Sponsored Products
Vitreous White China Undermount Sink
Overstock.com
2 Day Designs Reclaimed Wine2Night Cask & Crown Serving Tray - 4053
$162.00 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Cut Circle Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Kichler Dover Tannery Bronze Bath 3-Light
$87.00 | PLFixtures
Nova Earring Reclining White Table Lamp
Lamps Plus