RECIPE: Peanut Butter Cookies with Fiber

khandiFebruary 5, 2007

Made these yesterday. We all liked them! They're not too sweet. The rolled oats and bran give these peanut butter cookies a nutritional boost.

Peanut Butter Cookies (with fiber)

1 cup butter or margarine

¾ cup brown sugar

¾ cup granulated sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky

2 eggs, beaten

1¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 cup bran

¾ cup rolled oats

2 tsp baking soda

Melt butter. Beat together with the sugars, vanilla, peanut butter, and eggs.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, bran, oats, and baking soda. Stir mixture, by hand, into the butter mixture. Do not overmix.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool. Makes approximately 5 dozens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselin32

Khandi, what kind of bran did you use? I have oat bran and wheat bran or are you talking bran cereal?
Thanks.
RL`

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 2:16PM
khandi

I used wheat bran (100% natural).

These cookies really aren't bad! We really like them. Even the dog!! She just hears you going in the cookie jar and she gets all excited. LOL

At first I was expecting something sweet but they're not. (I have a bad sweet tooth, which is why I love to bake)I've even been eating them for breakfast with my coffee.

When I bake, I try to stay away from using granulated sugar as much as possible. I prefer using brown sugar and/or honey... healthier that way. This is the first "healthy" cookie I've made. I found the recipe in one of my drawers. I think I've had that recipe for 15+ years LOL

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 2:46PM
khandi

Forgot to mention that the original recipe indicated:

Drop by teaspoonfuls and bake for 15-17 minutes.

I make a lot of cookies and I know that this is way too long for this size cookie. I dropped mine by tablespoonfuls and baked them for exactly 12 minutes. They are crunchy but not hard! At first I thought they were a little dry but I think it's the bran in it. When they're cooled, they're very good.

I've been eating some for breakfast with my coffee... I figure..heck.. they got rolled oats and bran! can't be that bad for breakfast.. LOL Our dog really loves them! She just hears you in the cookie jar and gets really excited!

At first I hesitated to make this recipe but decided to give it a try because of the oats and bran. Glad I did because I will make this often... healthier than your usual cookie. Because I love to bake, I try to use brown sugar and/or honey instead of white sugar... the oats and bran is a bonus here! Found this recipe in my drawer.. had put it there 15+ years ago and never bothered to try it.

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 3:04PM
iowajewel

Thanks for sharing this! I wonder if I can even add a kiss on top to make them festive if need be?

Thanks for telling me to search for this recipe!!!
Julie

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
RECIPE: Poached salmon
Planning this years New Years Eve dinner and would...
prairie_rose
RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls
Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together...
dspen
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™