LOOKING for: Remedy for tough Rack of Lamb??

sharon_flFebruary 15, 2008

So disappointed in my Valentine's dinner at a restaurant last evening..after a 45 min wait for my entree to arrive-it was so tough I couldn't even swallow it. Didn't want to risk another 40 minute wait to correct the problem-I had it medium rare. Absolutely no crust or crisped on the outside-they either nuked it or baked it--gross! It was only luke warm when it was served also.

Soooo, I brought it home and will have to eat it medium done or more. Problem is-I am CLUELESS as to how to remedy the toughness...any ideas for me? A marinade? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Well, it's a waste with rack of lamb....but when it's been overcooked, there's not a lot to do but cook it more.
I would make it into a medeterranian sort of stew.
I would Sautee some onion ( half of a medium one) and sweet peppers...maybe 1/2 a red pepper, then all a can of whole plum tomatoes, broken up with your fingers, a 1/2 glass of red wine a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and a small eggplant peeled and sliced or a couple of very small zucchini....stir and simmer until the eggplant is done and the meat tender. I would put a lid on it at first and remove the lid if it's done before it has cooked down to a good thick stew.
i have done that with some tough shoulder chops...and a leftover leg or lamb..
Oh yes and I like a tiny pinch of cinnamon in that!
Linda C

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 2:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelellen

I don't go out for dinner on holidays because, having been in the restaurant business most of my life, I know that the customer load can be 3 or 4 times heavier than regular nights, and far too often, the kitchen (and the servers) just can't handle it. The rack was probably ruined because it was hastily defrosted when they unexpectedly sold more than they had anticipated.

I'm with Linda, just make that lamb into some other dish, that takes a good amount of simmering time to tenderize it.

If the restaurant is one that is usually good, it wouldn't hurt to drop in and speak to the manager about how disappointed you were. Likely, he or she will be aware that they had run out of racks that night, and had to force defrost them (or whatever happened), and may offer you some compensation in the form of a discount your next dinner.

Also, a good manager will appreciate you taking the time, because contrary to what many believe, a customer complaint is a good thing, if legitimate, because something can be done to make it up. What you don't want is for people to go away unhappy and tell all their friends how unhappy they were!

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
RECIPE: Help! Flan
Friend from Dominican Republic served and gave me this...
glenda_al
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
RECIPE: simple cabbage preparation
I'm looking for one or more simple ways to prepare...
melissa_thefarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™