LOOKING for: Non-graham cracker crust for key lime pie

annova914February 22, 2011

I can't seem to find a crust for key lime pie that doesn't involve graham crackers (I did find one that involved flour, brown sugar and melted butter but it sounded very sweet). Usually I put my filling into a Keebler's shortbread readymade crust but that's just for family. I'd like to serve this at a small dinner party so I'm on the search for something I can place in a pie plate. I do have the refrigerated pie crusts that you roll out. If I use that, how long should I bake the crust since I also have to bake the actual pie for 10 minutes? And should I cover the crust with foil so that it doesn't bake too much the first time in? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annova914

This is a post script: I just tried baking the roll out refrigerated crust and it's awful...the pastry has no sweetness. So I guess I'm ISO a crust I can make out of crushed gingersnaps or vanilla cookies, maybe some sliced almonds crunched up in it? (my original post took 24 hours to show up - is there something wrong with this website lately?)

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 12:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stuartwanda

You really need some thing sweet for the crust. You can try the other cookies if you want but to me it won't be Key Lime Pie.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
RECIPE: Corn chowder recipe
I recently had this and it was delicious. The only...
flowergirl70ks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™