RECIPE: Recipe software

fredinvaJanuary 7, 2011

Are you using computer software to store your recipes?

Years ago my wife used MasterCook, but that personal confuser crashed and we couldn't reload it on our new OS.

what's a good program if you are using one?

thx in advance,fred

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisbet

I have Master Cook on my PC....but have also devised my own method that is more convenient for me.

I buy blank CD's for my "E:-drive". Label each one with a catagory (Cakes, Meats, Vegetables, etc) Whenever I come to a recipe that I would like to keep, I copy (or paste) it into "my documents." Then when I have the inclination, I move it from documents onto the accordingly labeled CD. In that way, if I should ever get another computer.....or need to use a different PC, I would not loose my recipes.

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 5:41PM
fredinva

Thanks for the reply.

But that brings up a point. Why buy CDs?
why not get a usb thumb drive and save them there?
fred

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 9:53AM
lisbet

If that is a way of storing your recipes and cooking information, it is probably another good way to go.

I am not familliar with a usb thumb drive, so find the CD's more convenient for my use and purposes.....perhaps a thumb drive is a better way?

How can one find out about usb and how to use it?

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 3:45PM
lisbet

Many Thanks, Fred, for pointing me into the right direction !!! Very helpful !

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 9:23AM
jackie643

I have Cook'n on my computer.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 1:36PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I used to use MasterCook. But now just copy and paste a recipe or type one in a Word document and save to my portable drive, similar to lisbet saving to CDs. Each category has its own folder and then other folders within the main category folder; for example, I have a main folder labeled Sweets, inside that folder is a folder for Cakes and within that folder is a folder for Cakes from Scratch, Cakes from Mixes, Cheese, Fruit. Then there are other folders within the Sweets folder: Pies (and within that a folder each for Cream, Fruit, Nut, etc. In the Vegetable folder, there are individual folders for Beans, Peas, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Eggplant, Crucifers, etc. You get the idea. Though this sounds cumbersome, it really isn't once the folders are set up, and it makes it very easy for me to locate a recipe.

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
LOOKING for: how to use peaches
somebody just gave 60 huge beautiful peaches BUT I...
ginnier
RECIPE: looking for: potato boats recipe
What are the healthy ingredients you can incorporate...
elleau
recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam
Hi all, I have a lot of frozen peaches that I put up...
jennieboyer
RECIPE: Oven Canned Tomatoes
Since 1974 I've used this recipe to process/can my...
CrazyHorse2
LOOKING for: Christmas Tree coffee cake
DH here... My mother used to make a coffee cake for...
dawninva
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™