LOOKING for: Sweet & Sour salad dressing

naturegurlJanuary 8, 2008

Years ago I spent my winters skiing in Killington VT, and there was a restaurant called The Catamount (not the brew pub). The chef made an amazing salad dressing and refused to give out the recipe. The restuarant was sold, and the recipe lost with it. I figured out that the main ingredient was sweet chili sauce, the kind found in most asian grocers. But try as I might I have not been able to duplicate that recipe. I was just wondering if anyone out on the forum had any such recipe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I make a similar dressing that I use on a spinach salad...
I don't have a recipe....and frankly, what I put into it depends on the chili sauce...
But this is sort of what I do...
I put some chili sauce into a bowl...about 1/4 cup and add a clove of crushed garlic
Then I add about a rounded tablespoon of brown sugar
And a little less than 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and fill to 1/4 cup with balsamic vinegar...add to the chili sauce mix.
Amd whisk in 1/2 cup EVOO....and about 1/2 tsp of a mild ground red chili...I use "hatch mild chili powder"...and 1 tsp of so of worchestershire.
Taste and add more sugar if it needs it....or a little more vinegar if the chili sauce is particularly sweet.
This is sweet and sour and a little hot all at once....
But you have to taste as you go!!
Linda C

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: anise liquid ..?
In making biscochitos, I find the anise seed is not...
vieja_gw
RECIPE: looking for: potato boats recipe
What are the healthy ingredients you can incorporate...
elleau
RECIPE: Green Tomato Cake
This was really good! Green Tomato Cake 199 reviews...
iris_gal
LOOKING for: Sweet potato recipes : not pureed or sweet
I love sweet potatoes. I would like to incorporate...
linnea56
LOOKING for: Christmas Cookies
Is it time to start posting Christmas Cookies yet???...
roselin32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™