Not enough fabric

lowraineJune 26, 2012

I purchases three sets of purple 4" squares sometime back and made almost all of them into disappearing 9 patches. I was setting out to make a lap quilt or maybe a single quilt for my grandaughter. I am now short by 10 blocks if it is to be a single quilt, any suggestions? I have 38 4" squares left plus 7 9x10 1/2 different color purple fabric. I also have some 1 1/2" strips that I can incorporate into the quilt. I plan to purchase some white fabric to separate the individual blocks. My blocks are 12 x 11 1/4, five across per row. I thought of making a center group of squares as an accent but with five across it will not be centered. I could just leave it with five blocks across and five blocks down which is what I have now. It could become a lap or couch quilt. She will love it either way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

Use the blocks you've got to do as large a center as they will make. Then add a smallish border - not more than 2 inches. Then add a larger border in a print or geometric fabric that goes well with the center. Make it as big as you want.

If you have anywhere from 1 to 4 blocks from the center left over, use them in some or all of the corners.

It's not a problem; it's an opportunity to add another fabric!

Don't be afraid to pick up a little color from the outer print border and use that color as the more narrow inner border.

Kate

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:44PM
lowraine

Here's what I did. I have a yard of fabric that will blend in with the overall color scheme. I drew up the number of blocks as x's and o's the x's being the original blocks, the o's are the new fabric. I am going to add an individual block from the original colors in the center of this new fabric. That will give me a single quilt size. I am going to have a 3" border around the outside with 2" between the blocks and a border around that. I plan on white for the borders.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 10:44PM
jennifer_in_va

There you have it!! A design opportunity! And it sounds like you've done well and are happy with the outcome.

Can't wait to see a picture!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
Sponsored Products
Terracotta Mani McKenzie Ottoman
Cost Plus World Market
Fiberglass Premium Collar Tilt 9-foot Umbrella
Overstock.com
Standard Sham - WHITE/SILVER
$169.00 | Horchow
8' Heavy-Duty Double Accessible Picnic Table with Pressure Treated Planks
Fifthroom.com
Fatboy Doggielounge by Fatboy
$99.00 | Lumens