Follow-up on assessment question

UpNorthHeyMay 23, 2013

I talked to the City Assessor about why the assessments had fallen 6-13% in the neighborhoods I was looking to buy in. He said the assessment does not reflect any environmental change (big new development or something that would dampen values). He said the drop probably reflected a lag from sales over the past two years. Those sales (which inform the assessments) may have been more foreclosures sold at lower prices, or older sellers anxious to sell at a lower price. He did not really encourage me to use the assessment in making an offer. He said the usual things that if I like the house (good condition etc.) and the neighborhood is well-maintained, then I should not be concerned about the assessment as an indicator.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
egbar

thanks for the update! I was curious to know what you found out. I have often seen advertising saying things like
"priced below assessed value" and wondered whether this was foolish. In most cases I suspect it just means the potential buyer may want to appeal his/her tax assessment once the purchase is complete.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Home sellers: Terrible experience with realtors?
Hi there, I'm getting ready to sell my house and need...
dollhausimaginations
Negative connotation of listing "As is"?
I'll try to put our situation as simply as possible: We...
pinkpaula
Planning on selling my house
We live in a 35 year old home for ten years now with...
4boyz
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™