drywall scare stories

susana_2006May 21, 2009

I've been hearing some bad stories about problems with Chinese drywall. Is this adding to the problems with new construction sales? Is this issue a reason to not buy newer homes? How long has the building industry been using Chinese drywall?

Thanks so much.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FatHen

There is news posted on this almost daily on www.hadd.com and www.hobb.org. I think the two sites do a good job of posting only news and potentially helpful info. From what I've read, most 'experts' (for whatever that's worth) believe it was used between about 2001 and 2008, mostly in the Southeast but it is in multiple states. So far I've not read about any houses that have it without the 'symptoms' of rotten egg (sulfur) smell. But the harm is in what the fumes from it do to metal components like wiring and HVAC systems, and possibly to people's health. I recently read on www.policyholdersofamerica.org that much of the effort to restrict lawsuits that builders fought for is coming back to haunt them. They want to sue the manufacturers and/or distributors and now may run up against some of the same limitations they sought to put on their own customers. Given that it's a Chinese product, good luck to anyone trying to recover damages from the maker of these boards. Though some govt agencies have said it's a problem, I don't know that there is any solution on the horizon. A lot of the home owners will suffer monetary loss and if there's ever anyone held accountable it may be too late to be of much help to those people. I personally am concerned that in the future i might have to watch out for this, too. I imagine a lot of people are.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 3:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The folks stuck with the bad drywall will spend more money on attorneys trying to hold someone responsible than they would if they just tore it out and replaced it.

Attorneys earn a LOT more than drywall crews.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Figuring out who is a good Real Estate Broker?
I want to explore the market right now and get out...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Did you change the locks out when moving into new home?
Did you change the locks on the exterior doors or have...
tlbean2004
Would you buy a home near fire station??
We're considering an offer on a single-family home...
pros/cons of first floor master
I've looked at several newish (1990s or newer) homes...
hairmetal4ever
Sell Home, Go to Court Or What?
This may be the first time I have posted asking for...
ncrealestateguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™