Interesting Crossword Puzzle Clue...

lafonda_ranchJune 14, 2013

My dh loves to do the crossword puzzles in the local paper every day. The other day, the clue was "quilt filler". We had the letters "ider" figured out, but couldn't get that first one. We had to wait until the next day to get the answer because it was so bizarre. It was "eider" which is actually a bird. The feathers are used in down comforters. Does anyone know if maybe they used them years ago in quilts?

Robbi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

Eiderdown was a familiar filler in Europe and their down filled covers were often called eiderdowns. It's a common term to me but then I am much older than you! I didn't know it came from a bird, probably a goose, so I learned something.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:39PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I knew it, too.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:54PM
K8Orlando

Nice to know age counts for something! I knew this one too. I remember my German grandmother talking about the quality of eider duck down and how it's renown for being particularly soft and lofty. I don't recall that she had eider ducks on the farm though so it must have been an Old Country Thing.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:25PM
calliope

I used to have an eiderdown comforter and I have a horsehair blanket I took home when my MIL passed away. If anyone thinks wool is itchy........then they definitely should sleep under horsehair. Quilts were batted with anything handy and the usual would have been wool, in this area anyway. In the south it would have been cotton or tobacco cloth, kapok is another or milkweed and rags of any kind. I have a wonderful collection of ladies' magazines dating from the late 1800s and if you want unusual, you should see what mattresses were stuffed with. Moss and seaweed is on the list.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:54AM
bev2009

German heritage here as well, and I remember Grandma mentioning eiderdown quilts, too. I'd forgotten about them though, it's been awhile.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:34PM
lafonda_ranch

I'm glad to hear the crossword puzzle wasn't making things up! Definitely had us lost and we're not that young :-)

Robbi

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 13-15
My DD and I are going to post a quilt-along on my blog...
lindaoh_gw
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
Still having trouble separating my GW and H accounts
Just posting this to be sure it works after I confirmed....
quiltnhen
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™