RECIPE: Looking for: Carnival Cruise Chocolate Melting Cake

atd_ocJanuary 27, 2010

This dessert is so popular that was on the menu every night and I ordered it every night as well.

It was served in little pots with ice cream and was quite delicious, worth every calorie!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_st_thomas

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carnival warm chocolate melting cake

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 7:40AM
Nancy zone 6

Here is the recipe I use, everyone loves it:
Chocolate Melting Cake
10 TB unsalted butter, diced
1 1/2 cup sugar
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
2 TB cornstarch
3 large eggs plus 4 large yolks at room temperature
2 tsp Grand Marnier (I refuse to buy this just for this one recipe & don't miss it)
Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat to 350°F. Lightly butter 8 ramekins & dust with granulated sugar. Melt bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate and 10 TB butter in a bowl over simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth, remove from heat to cool a bit. In a large bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups sugar and cornstarch together. Add chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Add eggs, yolks and liquor and whisk until fully combined. If chocolate is still warm, you may need to temper the eggs as you add them to the chocolate. Scoop 1/2 cup of batter into each buttered ramekin. Place filled ramekins on baking sheets and bake until tops are set, have formed shiny crusts and are beginning to crack, 16-20 minutes. Cool for before serving and serve with coffee ice cream.
I don't think Carnival dusts the ramekins with the granulated sugar which adds an interesting crunch to the edge that I like. Otherwise, it tastes very similar. You may have to adjust cooking time, my oven is a few degrees off & takes 20-21 minutes to get it the way I want it.
I can't remember where I got the recipe, possibly from someone on this forum.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 7:23PM
glenda_al

Just left Carnival Libery, today, after a week in the WARM Caribbean and sooooooo enjoyed, per usual, their melting chcolate cake.

I have a recipe that I make, that is a little different, but tastes just like Carnival's. Family loves when I prepare it.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 6:55PM
patti43

ngraham, you can buy Grand Marnier in small bottles like they serve on airlines. They hold enough to make this cake several times. I still have some from the last time I made the creme brulee French toast.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Christmas Cookies
Think we are late getting this one started this year...
roselin32
RECIPE: Onion Soup What to mix with Guyere cheese
I'm planning to make my French Onion Soup for a number...
qmarker
RECIPE: Canning Recipe procedure
This may sound dumb but how tight should the lid on...
KenWade
LOOKING for: Toddle House strawberry cream pie
If anyone remembers the Toddle House from way back,...
martha.
LOOKING for: mamma mia's (west allis wi) homemade garlic bread
Hello All, and Happy New Year!!! My wife and I grew...
azstoneconsulting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™